The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] NMEA 183 depth gauge causes A75 MFD to re-cycle
04-02-19, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-19 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] NMEA 183 depth gauge causes A75 MFD to re-cycle
I bought a sailboat (O'Day 322) with NMEA 183 knotmeter, depth gauge, and wind speed/direction instruments, all working fine. I bought a new A75 MFD (Model E70166) using NMEA 2000. Initially, all worked well. But within a month or two, everytime I turned everything on, the MFD would recycle continuously, usually right after it established my current position. When the MFD came back up, it went to the page I was at, not at the initial power up screen (I've learned this is a clue).

As I had powered the new MFD from the 183 system, I was advised on this forum to instead power the new 2000 system, and then the 183 side from that. This change failed to solve the problem. I got through last season with either the A7 up, or my other instruments up, not altogether, not ideal.

A few weeks ago, I corrected some wiring issues the PO had made (horrible connections), to no avail. But I started to take individual 183 components out of the mix. I've now found that if I remove the depth gauge from the 183 circuit, everything works fine.

Would this point to a problem in the depth gauge itself? The transducer? Cabling between the two?

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] NMEA 183 depth gauge causes A75 MFD to re-cycle - Mickstr6 - 04-02-19 04:48 PM