The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Can I upgrade a Type 1 linear drive motor?
07-02-19, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-19 10:48 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Can I upgrade a Type 1 linear drive motor?
Hello,

Looked but could not find this question previously addressed. I bought a boat that came with an older Raymarine Type 1 linear mechanical drive connected to another brand computer. The boat displacement is just over the max rating for the Type 1 so I purchased a new Type 2 short as a backup. Good thing as the old drive died after 24 hours under sail on a recent trip. Installed the new Type 2 and all is good but I have the old unit I would like to repair and keep as a spare.

The question, can I install the higher power Type 2 motor in the old Type 1 drive or are there other differences that would prevent this or other components in the drive train that would also need to be upgraded? Note the computer has more that enough output to drive a Type 2.

I might mention that I have previously disassembled the old Type 1 to replace the bearings that had gotten wet and rusted shut by the previous owner so feel pretty comfortable getting inside the unit. I'm guessing the previous wetting contributed to the final demise of the motor.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[DG11] Can I upgrade a Type 1 linear drive motor? - skipmac - 07-02-19 10:00 AM