The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Wind Speed Errors
07-26-19, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-19 01:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Wind Speed Errors
Good Morning,

This past spring I installed the following:
EV-100 AP
Axiom 7 CP
i70S x 2 MFDs
iTC-5 Transducer Converter
R28170 Wind Transducer.
ST-800 Speed & Temp Transducer
I use the original ST50 depth transducer

All connected by SeaTalkng with the power being supplied to the network via the iTC-5 spur connection and a power spur cable.

I love the system, especially the feature of having the AP steer by AWA.

My problem (all winds speeds are AWS):
In winds <10 knots the wind speed appears to be correct.
Above 10 knots the wind speed appears to max out around 12 knots. It does not show higher winds or gusts.

I tried setting the wind speed adjustment using by using the speed readings from a hand held wind instrument when we were seeing a steady 18 knots.
After that change at < 10 knots, the speed readings were in the teens.
It almost appears that the speed transducer has a max range of 10 knots.

Yesterday when I arrived at the boat I had --- for both the depth and wind speeds. After checking the fuses and turning power off and on the depth started working correctly but the wind speed showed 0 and the wind angle showed 0.
Interestingly, at times the GWD display will switch to the correct wind direction for less than a second, then back to being about 180 degrees off.

I checked the voltages at the iTC-5 and at the connection box at the bottom of the mast. Both locations had the same voltages shown below:

Red to Shield - 8.4V
Blue to Shield - 7.6V (I believe this should be between 2V and 5.8V)
Green to Shield - 5.9V
Yellow to Shield - 3.0V

STW and TWS do work and match when underway, as expected.

Please advise what if any further testing I should do to determine if the issue is in the iTC-5 or in the wind transducer.

Attached are two photos of the wind display showing the two GWDs it reports while the wind angle pointer does not change.

Thanks
Ward
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Wind Speed Errors - SVSunDog - 07-26-19 08:38 AM
RE: [CA11] Wind Speed Errors - SVSunDog - 08-11-19, 07:03 PM