Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over
09-11-19, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-20 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over
Hello spencerdd,

If the wheel isn't turning, that's either the drive voltage not reaching the wheeldrive motor, or an internal problem inside the wheeldrive.

A couple of questions, then:
  • Can you hear anything from the drive motor when the pilot is in Auto?
  • If you have a multimeter on the boat, do you see any voltage between the pins on the wheeldrive connector when the pilot is trying to drive in Auto (expect about half the supply voltage as the system pulses the output), or at the drive terminals on the SPX5 course computer?

I would guess that you may have a poor contact in the wheeldrive's motor cable, or a worn drive (e.g. the belt) after 5 years of use. I would be surprised if it were an electronic fault in the SPX5.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-11-19 02:19 AM