Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Wi-Fish Connections
05-11-18, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-18 07:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Wi-Fish Connections
How many smart devices can you have connected to a Wi-Fish at one time? When we bottom fish, I would like to have a tablet at the bow and stern to monitor the structure. Will I have any issues with the signal strength at the bow if the Wi-Fish is mounted at the stern of a 30' boat?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-18, 07:26 AM
RE: [CA] Wi-Fish Connections
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tdrichards,

The Wi-Fish is designed to support streaming fishfinder imagery to a single mobile device at any one time which is running the Wi-Fish app or Navionics Boating app. However, the software within the Wi-Fish has not been designed to block additional mobile devices from establishing a connection to the Wi-Fish. While the Wi-Fish will not perform such blocking, it would be expected that performance may degrade as additional devices are connect to the Wi-Fish.
05-14-18, 11:05 AM
Have you tried it or do you know of anyone connecting two apps at the same time? I am only interested in the unit if you are 100% it will work and I am not as concerned with some performance degradation.

What about the second question? Any issues with the signal strength at the bow if I mount it at the stern (most likely in a cabinet) of a 30' boat?
05-15-18, 11:03 AM
tdrichards,

As indicated within my initial response, the Wi-Fish has not been designed to block additional mobile devices from establishing a connection to the Wi-Fish. I have simultaneously connected to and been able to run the Wi-Fish app on an iPad and Android smartphone with no obvious performance degradation (i.e. buffering choppy / incomplete plot). As with any device which communicates via Wi-Fi, signal strength sensed by the receiving device will be reduced as distance from the transmitters increases. Signal strength sensed by the receiving device will be reduced by structures and objects, most notably those which are constructed from metal or graphite, which are located between the receiver and the transmitter. While 30' of distance would not typically present a problem in open air, the deeper that the transmitter or receiver is located inside the vessel or structure, the greater the chance of decreased signal strength.