Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Autopilot EV-150
06-02-18, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 07:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Autopilot EV-150
I have a 2014 Striper with a 225hp and 15HO Hp Etec on it. Recently had a Axiom 9 combined with a EV-150 autopilot installed. Just had it out on Banks Lake, Wa. I have two basic questions. The first day I was able to get patterns working using my P70Rs however the second day I could not get any of the patterns to function. I did some recalibration or reinstallation the second day think it might have have done worse than good. Aside from my doing I think the high banks contributed to loosing some gps signal which probably did not help.

Basic questions;

1) Granted I lost some gps I still had some signal, will a little loss of signal cause the autopilot patterns mode to turn off entirely?

2) Is there any way to create multiple waypoints to follow? I setup 4 or 5 waypoints and set to follow but the autopilot would start to one waypoint and then ask to move onto the second, third or even the last one while bypassing the others. I am trying to set waypoints and follow contours to follow the coastline

PS. I could set one waypoint destination and at WOT ,pretty much, it will get me there.

Dean
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-18, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 07:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Autopilot EV-150
Hello Dean,

In what way were you having difficulties with the patterns?
If you can't see the Patterns option in the Mode menu item, the cause is probably that you've accidentally selected one of the sail vessel types in Menu > Setup > Autopilot Calibration > Vessel Settings > Hull type.
If you can see Patterns in the Modes menu but can't engage the relevant pattern, there ought to be an alarm that tells us why not. If that's the case, can you let me know the alarm text?

Re. following waypoints, are you building and then following a route? That's the way to follow a sequence, but sometimes people just drop individual waypoints.
If you are following a route (rather than going to a single waypoint) then it sounds like your waypoints may be closer together than your Waypoint Arrival Radius. We always use an arrival radius because it's extremely difficult and usually unnecessary to hit the exact lat/lon of a waypoint, and if your waypoints are very close together or your arrival radius is large then the arrival radii may overlap, so you're already into the radius of WP2 before you reach WP1, for example.
You can configure the arrival radius in Home > Alarms > Settings.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-05-18, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 07:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom, thank you for you response. I somehow missed it till now. I am able to see the patterns options. When I select anyone of them it just does not engage. I do not get any kind of alarm.

As for the waypoints proximity, yes they were close to each other. Can I adjust that proximity radius or arrival notice?

I tried building routes but never had any success. I think the arrival notice alarm interfered.

Could it be I was not going fast enough or is there any possibility my gps or lack of there signal could be playing a role?

Dean
06-12-18, 07:32 PM
Hello Hooksdj,

Quote:As for the waypoints proximity, yes they were close to each other. Can I adjust that proximity radius or arrival notice?

Yes, that's set on the Axiom, in Home > Alarms > Settings > Waypoint arrival radius.

Quote:I am able to see the patterns options. When I select anyone of them it just does not engage. I do not get any kind of alarm.
Could it be I was not going fast enough or is there any possibility my gps or lack of there signal could be playing a role?

You do need GPS data in order to engage Patterns, but I have just tested and can engage with a speed-over-ground of zero. Can you tell me the sequence of keypresses you're making and the results? Menu > Mode > Pattern > [Select pattern type] > [edit pattern parameters] > Auto to engage is the normal process.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-21-18, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-18 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom, I just got my boat on the water to try out my autopilot again. I was on a small lake with minimal wind. Menu, mode, pattern, circle 8 - auto engage. I can see the motor turning some but nowhere near enough to get to a figure 8. Then I tried again; menu, mode, pattern, circle (.10)- auto engage. Similar results, partial turn but never did get a full turn.
06-27-18, 02:12 AM
Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've been out of the office.

How does the pilot perform just in Auto mode, does it make sharp course changes and keep a good course, or is Auto mode performance poor too?

If the performance is bad in Auto mode too I'd be thinking something like:
- air in hydraulics
- incorrect Speed data source selected in pilot setup (the pilot relies on good speed data, sometimes engine interfaces or other devices output incorrect speed data so the Axiom's SOG data should generally be used instead)
- incorrect hydraulic pump for the size of the steering cylinder
- Hard-Over time calibration setting is set too low, meaning that the pilot tries to apply less helm than it should
- Rudder Limits set too close, so that pilot cannot apply enough helm.

A video (a minute or so long) showing the performance in Auto and Pattern modes may well shed some light, if you can attach one here?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

06-27-18, 01:52 PM
(06-27-18 02:12 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've been out of the office.

How does the pilot perform just in Auto mode, does it make sharp course changes and keep a good course, or is Auto mode performance poor too?

If the performance is bad in Auto mode too I'd be thinking something like:
- air in hydraulics
- incorrect Speed data source selected in pilot setup (the pilot relies on good speed data, sometimes engine interfaces or other devices output incorrect speed data so the Axiom's SOG data should generally be used instead)
- incorrect hydraulic pump for the size of the steering cylinder
- Hard-Over time calibration setting is set too low, meaning that the pilot tries to apply less helm than it should
- Rudder Limits set too close, so that pilot cannot apply enough helm.

A video (a minute or so long) showing the performance in Auto and Pattern modes may well shed some light, if you can attach one here?

Regards,
Tom

No worries Tom, I have been busy myself. From what I can tell it will go to a set way point turning when need be. I was planning on taking it out this weekend so Ill see about getting some video.