Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine devices and nmea2k and nmea0183 newtork.
01-26-17, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-17 11:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Raymarine devices and nmea2k and nmea0183 newtork.
I have an a78 Display with CHIRP/RD418D Digital Radome, Non-WiFi. With the radar, and sonar I have used all the ports on the back of the a78.

I also have a NMEA2k network on the boat, that connects a speed paddle wheel, fuel flow sensor, and fuel level meter to a LMF-200.

I have a KVH Azimuth 1000 Compass that is NOT CONNECTED to any network, but the output is NMEA0183

I also have 2 VHF Radios, both with GPS and NMEA0183 output, that are also NOT CONNECTED to any network.

1) I would like to get the data (Fuel Flow, Speed and Fuel Level) onto the a78, but there are no ports available, so how do I get this network to talk to the NMEA2k one and share data.

2) I would like to see the KVH Compass and one of the VHF radio GPS data on the network as well. I believe that having the GPS data and KVM data would provide a benefit.

3) I just need to know what I need to buy to make this work. Simple is better. Really, just say these are the "parts" you need, and you connect it like "this".

If I shouldn't do this, or if there are "better" alternatives (short of replacing equipment), I would like to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-17, 12:14 PM
RE: Raymarine devices and nmea2k and nmea0183 newtork.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jweiss,

Q1) I would like to get the data (Fuel Flow, Speed and Fuel Level) onto the a78, but there are no ports available, so how do I get this network to talk to the NMEA2k one and share data.
A1) Of the items which you have listed, fuel flow rate, speed though water, and use of the MFD's Fuel Manager feature would be supported. However, please note that the MFD will only report tank level(s) associated with tanks having a NMEA 2000 tank level sensor installed. The NMEA 2000 backbone to which the third party devices you have listed are interfaced will need to have unoccupied spur socket available to which the MFD's SeaTalkng spur socket will be interfaced via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng spur cable. As you have stated that all port of your MFD are presently occupied, it will be necessary to have you specify what is presently interfaced to your MFD's SeaTalkng spur socket.

Q2) I would like to see the KVH Compass and one of the VHF radio GPS data on the network as well. I believe that having the GPS data and KVM data would provide a benefit.
A2) Should the VHF radios feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, then they would each simply be interfaced as spurs to the NMEA 2000 backbone. If not, then the KVH 1000, and the NMEA 0183 output of VHF radios would each be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 multiplexer (ex. E55059 NMEA 0183 Multiplexer, etc.) and the output of the NMEA 0183 Multiplexer would in turn be interfaced to a third party NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.). The NMEA 0183 to NMEA 200 data bridging device would in turn be interfaced as a spur to the NMEA 2000 backbone. There are some third party products which combine NMEA 0183 multiplexing and NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging within a single product (ex. Shipmodul MiniPlex-3USB(-N2K), etc.). Before purchasing any NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device, it is recommended that you verify that it support bridging of NMEA 0183 DSC and DSE sentences should it be desired to have the MFD automatically plot waypoints using the coordinates associated with DSC position reports received by the VHF radios. Additionally, should the VHF radios output GPS data to NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183, then it would be necessary to configure the MFD's Data Sources feature to specify which GPS data source will be will be used by the Raymarine system.

Q3) I just need to know what I need to buy to make this work. Simple is better. Really, just say these are the "parts" you need, and you connect it like "this".
A3) You need to address the questions raised within the answers to Q1 and Q2. Also note when using third party products (ex. multiplexers, etc.) it will be the owner's responsibility to verify that with the third party product manufacturer that the third party product supports the features/data transfer required.
01-27-17, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-17 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I think I can best describe what I have by submitting a diagram. See attached image.

a78 (connected to): Network/Radar, Transducer/Transducer, Power/Power, STng/no connection

NMEA 2000 Backbone (connected to): Power, LMF-200, Paddlewheel, Fuel Flow, Fuel Level.

Standard Horizon GX1700: Not Connected
VHF 580: Not Connected
KVH Azimuth 1000 Not Connected

Basically would like to connect a78 to NMEA 2000 Backbone, and connect at least one VHF Radio and the KVH as well, all together.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=734]
01-27-17, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-17 04:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
jweiss,

Thanks for confirming that you have not used all ports on the back side of the a78 MFD. As indicated within my initial response, your backbone will require at least two additional spur sockets, one to accommodate interfacing the a78 MFD to the backbone and the second to accommodate interfacing the previously referenced NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device to the backbone. To keep things simple, you may want to consider using NMEA 2000 networking components from the same manufacturer used to create the currently installed NMEA 2000 backbone to add the additional spur sockets to your existing NMEA 2000 backbone. Should the currently installed NMEA 2000 backbone manufacturer offer T-Pieces featuring DeviceNet Micro-C (F) or DeviceNet DeviceNet Micro-C sockets (you will need to check with the manufacturer of your currently installed NMEA 2000 backbone, then one of the following cables may be used to mate the MFD's SeaTalkng spur socket to your NMEA 2000 backbone:
- A06075 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06076 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (M)
If not, then an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable may be spliced to a spur cable sourced from the manufacturer of the currently installed NMEA 2000 backbone to create a spur cable adapter assembly. The total length of this spur cable adapter assembly must not exceed 6m. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the color codes employed in a SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

The type and gender of the NMEA 2000 interface socket featured on make/model of NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device which you will purchase will in turn determine how the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device will be mated to the above specified NMEA 2000 spur socket.

Finally, as the West Marine VHF 580 does not feature an internal GPS receiver, you may want to consider paralleling the NMEA 0183 output from your GX1700 VHF Radio to supply GPS data to the VHF 580 (i.e. connect the NMEA 0183 output of the GX1700 not only to the GPS multiplexing device specified within my initial response, but also to the NMEA 0183 input leads of the VHF 580).
01-27-17, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-17 10:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Okay, I think I got it. Based on the response you provided, I have updated my drawing. GREEN LINES REPRESENT NEW CONNECTIONS. I need to add 2 NMEA 2000 spurs, and connect one spur to the a78 MFD, using the appropriate cable as listed. I can then purchase a multiplexer, connect my KVH and GX1700 to the multiplexer. Then bridge the NMEA 0183 output of the GX1700 to the NMEA 0183 input on the VHF580 (as shown in orange). And finally purchase a Actisense NGW-1-ISO (or similar) cable to connect the Multiplexer to the NMEA 2000 spur, and I will have everything connected.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=736]

The advantage to doing this would be the major advantage of having all the NMEA 2000 data on the MFD. The second advantage would be that the MFD would now be able to plot DSC data from the GX1700. And third the VHF580 in the cabin will now have GPS position data on it.

Do I gain anything on the MFD or LMF-200 from having the KVM Compass on the network?
01-30-17, 08:59 AM
jweiss,

Your diagram appears to be correct. By networking all of these products together,
- a second source of GPS data will be available to the system ... you may want to check with Lowrance regarding whether the LMF-200 supports GPS data source selection ... otherwise, it may cycle back and forth between the two GPS data sources or use a prioritization scheme embedded within the LMF-200's software.
- Heading data will be supplied to the MFD permitting the features found here to be supported
- Fuel Tank Level data will be supplied to the system, permitting the MFD to then be configured to display actual (vs estimated) Fuel Tank Level
- Fuel flow rate data will be supplied to the MFD, permitting its Fuel Manager feature to be utilized ... see Chapter 11 - Fuel Manager of the LightHouse II Release 17 Operators Manual.
- Speed through water data will be supplied to the MFD to support displaying this data item as well as to support data items dependent upon speed through water (ex. Tide Vector, etc.)
- Heading will be supplied to the system to support displaying this data item as well as support the feature specified within the FAQ found here.

Lowrance support would need to be contacted regarding any additional features which may be gained within the LMF-200 by interfacing these items to the same NMEA 2000 backbone.
01-31-17, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-17 04:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Awesome, this has been the MOST helpful answer I have gotten from anyone on this topic. Thank you Chuck for taking the time to help me, it is very much appreciated.

Joe
01-31-17, 04:29 PM
You're welcome.