Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] SXM Weather for network of eS9x MFD's
10-04-19, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-19 10:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] SXM Weather for network of eS9x MFD's
I was preparing to add the SR200 to my client's yacht which currently has an eS9x MFD installed at each of two helm stations. This includes Raynet devices: HS-5, CAM210, and 18" Radome, along with a fairly extensive NMEA 2000 network (about 25 physical devices, many more virtual). Contrary to other resources I've read, the installation manual indicates that the SR200 will only work on Axiom MFDs. Further research on this forum confirms that the SR200 will not work with our eS9x series MFDs.

I am looking for product guidance. This installation is only about two years old, so the owner will not be happy with the prospect of replacing his MFDs. On the other hand, the SR150 is now a retired product. While there are some SR150's still available on the market, I am concerned about installing a retired product. Also, as the existing NMEA 2000 network aboard is already well populated, I am hesitant to add the NMEA 2000-based SRM150.

Please reply with your suggestions for moving forward. Also, please comment on any problems or shortcomings of replacing ONE of the eS9x MFDs with an Axiom MFD and adding the SR200. Particularly, I am concerned with potential integration problems between the LH2 eS9x and the LH3 Axiom MFD.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Chad
Coastal Marine Systems, LLC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-19, 10:28 AM
RE: [CA11] SXM Weather for network of eS9x MFD's
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Chad,

Unfortunately, the SR200 is indeed not compatible with eS/gS-Series MFDs and the MFD designs which preceded them. However, I see no reason why one should hesitate to install a SR150 (should one be able to locate one) for use with this system. I have used a SR100 (a 15-year old design) successfully with my own system of MFDs running LightHouse II software for many years now. Raymarine's MFDs are not NMEA 2000-based SiriusXM satellite weather receivers. As far as replacing a one of the MFDs with an Axiom MFD, it is indeed possible to do so. However, while there will likely be one more release of LightHouse 3 software for eS/gS-Series MFDs (LH3 v3.11.x), no further software updates are expected for eS/gS-Series MFDs beyond this release. The following additional consideration should be considered:
- Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface ... workaround: use a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device
- Axiom MFDs do not feature an analog video interface ... workaround: install a video encoder
- Should the system not feature an Evolution autopilot, then LightHouse 3's Autopilot Controls feature may not be used ... workaround: use the autopilot's control head to command the autopilot into Auto, Track, and Standby modes.
- Axiom MFDs do not feature a video output port ... workaround: use the MFD's Miracast feature to cast the MFD's screen to a SmartTV which as been accessorized with a Miracast dongle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply