Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Fishfinder for Axiom PRO 12 RVX
11-27-19, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-19 09:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Fishfinder for Axiom PRO 12 RVX
Good morning,
I would like to be able to use my Axiom PRO 12 RVX as a FISH FINDER and I am looking for the right transducer/ module
At the moment a tridata depth sounder is installed in the Engine room bilge.

I would like to understand:

- which transducer should I install?
The boat is a 40’ GRP and I was thinking of a thruhull plastic.
- is it possible to install the transducer near the tridata?
- There will be interference in between the two transducers ?
- Make sense to simply install the new transducer in place of the tridata ?

The Tridata transducer is connected in the engine room to a SeaTalk NG T-piece.

- is it possible to install instead a SeaTalkng 5-way connector and connect both transducer directly on the engine room?

- is there any other hardware I need ?

Thanks a lot for the information!!
Any question welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-19, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-19 10:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Fishfinder for Axiom PRO 12 RVX
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Roberto,

Q1. which transducer should I install? The boat is a 40’ GRP and I was thinking of a thruhull plastic.
A1. The model of fishfinder transducer to install is dependent upon the type of fishinder imaging (ex. RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, traditional conical sonar, etc.) which you would like to utilize with your Axiom Pro RVX MFD, the maximum depth of the waters to be fished, and type of propulsion.

Q2. is it possible to install the transducer near the tridata?
A2. Installing a fishfinder transducer which transmits at 200kHz may well cause interference with the Tridata, preventing it from acquiring / maintaining bottom lock. This would be more likely to occur if the fishfinder transducer and Tridata's transducer were closely located to one another.

Q3. There will be interference in between the two transducers ?
A3. See the response to Q2.

Q4. Make sense to simply install the new transducer in place of the tridata ?\
A4. This would typically be the case. For those seeking to install a RV transducer, it would not be uncommon for a CP370 compatible fishfinder transducer requiring a 2" cutout (ex. B60) to also be installed onboard in place of the instrument depth transducer.

Q5. The Tridata transducer is connected in the engine room to a SeaTalk NG T-piece.
Is it possible to install instead a SeaTalkng 5-way connector and connect both transducer directly on the engine room?
A5 Negative. Unlike Smart instrument transducers, fishfinder transducers are not designed to be interfaced to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The fishfinder transducer(s) will need to be interfaced either directly to the Axiom Pro RVX MFD or to a RVX1000 Fishfinder Sounder Module, which in turn will be interfaced to the Axiom Pro RVX MFD or system's HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Q6. is there any other hardware I need ?
A6. The answer is dependent upon the transducer(s) chosen ... CP370 compatible transducers (ex. B60, etc.) require an adapter. If the MFD has not been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it may be necessary to interface a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor or AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor to the system.
12-03-19, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-19 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks a lot Chuck!
Really appreciate your answer!

I would like to go for RealVision 3D images.
I think the bottom in the front engine room is quite flat and I was thinking installing :
Raymarine RV-300 RealVision 3D Plastic Through Hull Transducer 0 Degree.
- is advisable to put the transducer more forward and install the Raymarine RV-312 RealVision 3D Plastic Through Hull Transducers, Port and Starboard 12 degree ???

Understood I will have to run the wire from the location to the the instrument.
- do I need a sonar module/adaptor between the transducer and the MFD?

- if I disconnect the tridata transducer I will still have the depth information in the Chart page ??

Attached is a picture of the plan of the boat
Again thank you
Roberto

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-04-19, 10:31 AM
Roberto,

Q1. Is advisable to put the transducer more forward and install the Raymarine RV-312 RealVision 3D Plastic Through Hull Transducers, Port and Starboard 12 degree ???
A1. If the intended installation location of the RV-300
- has a deadrise is between 0-6 degrees, and
- is wide enough to accommodate the RV-300 (dimensional specifications for the RV-300 may be found within its installation guide), and
- is more than 3' from objects producing a magnetic field, (ex. ferrous metals (ex. engine blocks, etc.), electrical motors, etc.), and,
- is not located behind any thru-hulls or hull features which may result in an aerated flow of water across the face of the transducer, then
the RV-300 would be quite satisfactory for this application. Should these criteria not be met, then it would be recommended that a RV transducer pair appropriate for the hulls deadrise be installed. No information has been provided regarding the desired maximum depth fished. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the maximum depths supported by the types of sonar supported by the RV transducers.

Q2. do I need a sonar module/adaptor between the transducer and the MFD?
A2. I assume that transducer which you are referring to is the RV transducer. If so, then no sonar module/adapter would be required interface it to an Axiom Pro RVX MFD.

Q3. if I disconnect the tridata transducer I will still have the depth information in the Chart page ??
A3. Yes. If the ST60/ST60+/i50 Tridata is additionally interfaced to the MFD, then the Tridata may be configured as a repeater of depth data to permit it to report the depth value determined by the MFD.