Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] SHS Nmea issue
11-30-19, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-19 02:48 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] SHS Nmea issue
Hi, I'm trying to connect my SHS to a A50D Via the Nmea 2 port... I can seem to get any output from the SHS... It's currently wired via seatalk and seems to be out putting the compass heading via that...
If I want to connect it to the A50D... Do I need to remove the seatlak connection?

Regards

Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-19, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-19 08:09 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [LW11] SHS Nmea issue
Dear morepower,

Thank you for your post.

What smart heading sensor do you have networked on the system? Is it coming from a Raymarine autopilot? WHat model is the pilot?

If you have an NMEA output on a Raymarine autopilot and you are currently using the seatalk 1 port, most of our legacy course computers will not bridge data from NMEA to ST1 and vice versa - you can use seatalk 1 or NMEA0183.

If you have a large seatalk 1 installation I recommend buying a seatalk 1 to NMEA0183 convertor to connect the seatalk 1 network to the A50D.

Many Thanks
Louise
12-03-19, 12:52 PM
Hi Louise...

I have the E12102.... Currently connected via seatalk 1 to my instruments... the A50D is then connected to the seatalk 1, via a seatalk to seatalk ng converter...
I was looking at attaching it directly to the A50D via it's second Nmea 0183 port... I presumed that this would be a better way to connect it to the plotter...
If this is incorrect, please let me know..

Regards

Tim
12-04-19, 10:21 AM
Dear morepower,

Can you send a wiring diagram to me?

What instrument have you got the heading sensor connected to?

You need to connect with NMEA port to either of the following connections on the A50D NMEA cables;
White +/ Green -
Orange-White +/ Orange - Green -

You can connect the seatalk 1 port and the NMEA port at the same time from the SHS.

You could also have a faulty NMEa port.

Many Thanks
Louise
12-07-19, 02:59 AM
Hi Louise.... I have linked/daisy chained the St60 instruments and have them connected to a Seatalk 1 Seatalk NG converter which the A50D is attached to... The SHS is attached to a Raymarine junction box which is also connected to the GPS and 230E VHF.... It is also now connected to the Nmea 0183 A50D on port 2... One thing I have noticed since doing this is that the compass is rotating constantly... If I disconnect the SHS from the A50D 0183 port, this stops and the compass returns to a normal reading...

Regards

Tim
12-09-19, 09:20 AM
Dear morepower,

Thank you for the post.

You are creating a dataloop. You only need to send the data to the A50D either on ST1 converted to STng or NMEA0183. You do not need both connected, this is why you are experiencing strange readings on the heading sensor.

I would leave the smart heading sensor on the Seatalk network.

Many Thanks
Louise