Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[CA] [CA11] Intagration of the ClearCruise System
12-30-19, 04:15 PM
RE: [CA11] Intagration of the ClearCruise System
Chuck,

Update-

Everything is now connected as shown in the last schematic where you said "nice job"..

On the first leg of the trip, in a wide flat spot, I completed the Seatrial commissioning section, (following the dockside set-up) after removing the S3G and installing the X30 last weekend.

All went good, even the auto-Learn steps.

However there must be something I missed cause there are two things I noticed.

1. With the system all online and SW all updated, (no AR200 connected yet) the Axiom 12 (Master) it is unable to recognize any data sources following the X30 Install. *see pictures* It displays a message about not manually selecting a source. I did not try to manually select a source. It also says that on the i70 multi display.

(I found out that the AR200 is also a GPS antenna as well and was just looking to see if the system had defaulted to it, as its position source but for some reason this message came up for any item you selected.)

2. While at the dock before leaving to head back home, I connected up the AR-200 unit and turned everything on. The video page showed the AR data and was waiting on movement to complete the linearization . Once under-weigh, we did a slow circle and the linearization indicated it had completed.

From that point, the boat icon was skewed off heading by about 20 degrees (see pics) and the radar daymarks on the waterway were off by some as well.

You can see in the pictures....So I disconnected the AR200 unit and completed another heading alignment from the ST8002...this seemed to correct the vessel icon issue although I have not connected the AR200 unit back up yet,

I was going to wait and see your comments first,

Jeff in Savannah..

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-19, 10:13 AM
Jeff,

Q1. With the system all online and SW all updated, (no AR200 connected yet) the Axiom 12 (Master) it is unable to recognize any data sources following the X30 Install. *see pictures* It displays a message about not manually selecting a source. I did not try to manually select a source. It also says that on the i70 multi display.
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Accordingly, Data Source selection may only occur after having temporarily unplugged the SPX30 from the backbone until the Data Source selections have been perfomed. Earlier, I had suggested that the AR200 be tested for use as the heading input for the SPX30. To do so, it would be necessary to detach the fluxgate compass from the SPX30.

Q2. (I found out that the AR200 is also a GPS antenna as well and was just looking to see if the system had defaulted to it, as its position source but for some reason this message came up for any item you selected.)
A2. See the response to Q1. After having unplugged the SPX30 from the backbone, the AR200 (which should have been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead) should be selected as the system's Data Source for Heading, GPS, Datum, and Date & Time.

Q3. While at the dock before leaving to head back home, I connected up the AR-200 unit and turned everything on. The video page showed the AR data and was waiting on movement to complete the linearization . Once under-weigh, we did a slow circle and the linearization indicated it had completed.

From that point, the boat icon was skewed off heading by about 20 degrees (see pics) and the radar daymarks on the waterway were off by some as well.
A3. No determination may be made until Data Source selection has been properly performed. However, should the problem persist thereafter, then the symptom reported may indicate that

- the sensed deviation at the location of the AR200 is too high (should be no greater than 9 degrees) ... relocated the AR200, and/or

- the AR200's Heading is in need of an offset. This detailed within Chapter 5.2: AR200 Calibration of the AR200 Installation Instructions ... and/or

- the fluxgate compass is still connected to the SPX30 ... we need to verify whether the SPX30 will accept heading data from the AR200 and accordingly the fluxgate compass should be disconnected from the SPX30 until it has been verified that the SP30 can steer to heading input from the AR200 (i.e. can be successfully commanded into Auto mode when underway), and/or

- the software within the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is not up to date, and/or the operator has erroneously entered a variation value within two components within the system. Within systems featuring a MFD, local variation would typically be configured only within the MFD ... which would typically be configured to AUTO.
01-01-20, 09:02 PM
OK,.so I .....

1. Disconnect only the NG from the X30 pilot computer.
2. Disconnect the flux compass from the X30.
3. Connect the AR-200 unit NG.

Power up the system and check the network source settings to confirm that the heading source is set to AR-200 and also see if the GPS source is the AR-200 or the Axiom...

Jeff
01-02-20, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-20 09:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jeff,

Q. Power up the system and check the network source settings to confirm that the heading source is set to AR-200 and also see if the GPS source is the AR-200 or the Axiom...
A. Whether automatically selected or not, the Manual selection option should be enabled, and the AR-200 should be selected as the Data Source for each of the following:
- Heading
- GPS
- Datum
- Date & Time

After doing so, the SPX30 may again be connected to the backbone, the boat taken out, steadied onto a heading, and the autopilot should then be commanded into Auto mode. Should no errors be reported by the autopilot and should the autopilot steer to the locked heading (i.e. the heading of the vessel when Auto mode was commanded)
01-02-20, 05:04 PM
ok, all that was accomplished and everything looks great!

What it is about the X30 being connected to the system that blocks the data source selection?
01-03-20, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-20 09:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jeff,

The software of older product designs such as the SPX autopilot course computers, ST8002, ST60 instruments, etc. exclusively supported a single source of any one specific type of data. Current Raymarine product designs now support multiple sources of any one specific type of data an a means of identifying which ones will be used by the system. The presence of the older types of devices within the system will block selection of data sources. However, as indicated within the referenced FAQ and within this response, temporarily disconnecting the older device(s) from the system will permit data source selection.
01-19-20, 09:37 AM
Hey Chuck,

Update-

Referencing the latest schematic of my system (attached), I have another question as far as integration goes. I bought 2 ea i70 Multi displays (older version E70365) and thought I would replace the upper helm station ST60 Plus Wind and the ST60 Plus Tridata with these two multi displays....I see there are many different ways they can be interfaced and I've been thinking about how to connect them to the system.

With that in mind, I was trying to keep the P79 Depth transducer as a "stand alone" source of depth in order to have a backup/secondary depth source aside from the B744 that is connected to the Lower Helm Axiom 9..

Maybe installing my spare ST60 Plus depth with this P79 wired directly to it?
Not sure that is best...

I see I could remove the P79 from the ST60 Tridata and connect to the ITC-5 as an option as well.

I am also guessing if i did that I could still select my "source of depth" to be either the ITC-5 (P79) or the Axiom 9 (B744)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,...Jeff

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Visio-Indigo Star 6.pdf (Size: 26.49 KB / Downloads: 214)
01-21-20, 11:41 AM
Jeff,

Q. Maybe installing my spare ST60 Plus depth with this P79 wired directly to it?
Not sure that is best... .I see I could remove the P79 from the ST60 Tridata and connect to the ITC-5 as an option as well. I am also guessing if i did that I could still select my "source of depth" to be either the ITC-5 (P79) or the Axiom 9 (B744).
A. Either of these options are equally valid and there is not particular advantage to either.

Add'l comment. We had last discussed testing the autopilot's ability to use heading data from the AR200 and specific tests had been suggested. Were these performed? What were the results?
01-21-20, 12:38 PM
Yes sir, the AR-200 was a valid source for heading & GPS and was selected as the source. The flux compass is still wired to the X30 but not used that I am aware of.

Q:
Should I move that compass and wire into the ITC-5? just as a back-up..and wire the P79 to the ITC-5 as well? Good idea for redundancy?

I was also thinking of reducing the points of failure by removing the ST converter, as part of the integration of the new i70 displays NG connection,

Q:
Maybe use a NG Tee fitting since there are not enough spurs on the 5 way to add in the i70's?
01-21-20, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 01:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jeff,

Previous provided instructions called for disconnecting the fluxgate compass from the autopilot to perform the autopilot tests which I had inquired about. Should you have not already done so, then the fluxgate compass should be disconnected from the autopilot course computer and the previously specified autopilot tests should be performed.

Q1: Should I move that compass and wire into the ITC-5? just as a back-up..and wire the P79 to the ITC-5 as well? Good idea for redundancy?
A1. I wouldn't recommend doing so, as the autopilot will not utilize heading data from the iTC-5 ... it's update rate would be too slow for the autopilot. Should you ever encounter an issue with the AR200, then it should be unplugged from the backbone and the fluxgate should then be connected to the course computer.

Q2. I was also thinking of reducing the points of failure by removing the ST converter, as part of the integration of the new i70 displays NG connection,
A2. SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter failures are rare. That said, i70/i70S MFID bring significant performance, flexibility, and features over dedicated ST60 instruments.

Q3. Maybe use a NG Tee fitting since there are not enough spurs on the 5 way to add in the i70's?
A3. Should the i70/i70S MFIDs each be within 6m of a spur (white) socket within the backbone then they may each simply be interfaced to the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. If not, then the backbone will need to be extended to the location of the i70/i70S MFIDs where a minimum of two additional spur sockets added to the backbone.