Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Element7 GPS data to NMEA 0183 VHF DSC
12-08-19, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-19 12:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Element7 GPS data to NMEA 0183 VHF DSC
I've just installed an Element7 HV MFD on my boat and complemented it with a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng converter to allow GPS data from the Elemet7 to be passed to the DSC VHF, an old Uniden Solara DSC.
My installation is the same as presented on the converter manual and on your post "Using GPS data from a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 GPS source to supply a DSC VHF Radio" but it is not working.
The status led on the converter keeps blinking at a 2Hz frequency all the time. I have checked all connections and found no problems.
What could be happening?
Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-19, 12:09 PM
RE: [CA11] Element7 GPS data to NMEA 0183 VHF DSC
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Paulo,

It is recommended that you verify that both the Element display and the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates and that the Element display's Internal GPS has been manually been selected as the system's GPS data source (assuming that no external GPS sensor has been interfaced to the system). If the software within these items is not the latest available software, then the software within these items should be updated accordingly. If so and the Element display has acquired a GPS position FIX, then that SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's Status LED should cyclically indicate one long green pulse followed by three short green pulses. Should your system not respond as indicated above, then please attach a system diagram to this thread indicating devices within the marine electronics system and how they have been interfaced to one another.
01-21-20, 11:06 AM
Chuck, thanks for the answer.
I have applied update 3.10.10 to my Element display, but was not able to see an update for the NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng (not SeaTalk to SeaTalkng) converter on the list of files for this update (the same for the previous one, 3.9.98). Any specific procudure to update the converter software?
The Element internal GPS is select as the GPS data source and I do have GPS fix.
I will check again the pulse pattern and prepare a connection diagram to send you.
Thanks
01-21-20, 11:27 AM
Paulo,

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is included within both the SeaTalk1 & SeaTalkng converter Kit and the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit, as is the software which is programmed into each of these products. They differ only in the cable which is plugged in to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters SeaTalk (yellow) socket.