Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Drive Stopped - EV-400
12-08-19, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-19 02:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Drive Stopped - EV-400
Hello,

I have a EV-400 on a 40 foot, 12 ton sailing vessel. It is connected to a fairly old (20 years or more) 1/4 HP 12v reversing motor made by Pacific Scientific, which via a belt drives the hydraulic arm on the steering quadrant. I also have the rudder reference sensor fitted.

This has been working very well for the past few years. The last 3 times I have been sailiing, I have been going along under autopilot and then without warning get the message "Drive Stopped".

After this message I can re-engage the autopilot but it is unable to drive the reversing motor and nothing happens - accordingly the autopilot again disengages after about 20 seconds with the same message.

This happens under both sail and under motor, in calm and rough sea state.

I have check the batteries and the house bank which is is powered off is at about 13.1 volts (but solar was going in at the time).

When I get back to the dock, or to anchor I have been able to resolve this issue by taking the cover off the ACU-400 and probing the power and motor terminals with my multi meter. Without fail - it will then begin to drive the motor again.

A phone call to RM tech support suggested a brown out might be the case, but I tried resetting the circuit breaker to the ACU-400 and i70s - but the problem remained.

The way I have been fixing it is taking the cover off and probing the terminals. On the most recent episode I re-seated the wires going into the terminals as well.

I am of a mind to splice in a terminal block at the motor end of the cable coming from the ACU-400 so I can easily probe the voltage at the motor too.

DO you have any other suggests please?

Thank you,

Watsala
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-19, 02:29 PM
RE: [CA11] Drive Stopped - EV-400
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum watsala,

The first thing to verify is that the ACU, EV-1, and autopilot control head have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, at this was a symptom which had been previously reported and had been addressed via a software change.

If the rudder moves beyond the rudder limits set within the autopilot's settings, then a Drive Stopped condition will occur. Accordingly, it would be recommended that you verify that a rudder reference transducer has been installed and that a) the maximum rudder angle produced when commanded to hard over does not exceed 30 degrees and that b) the rudder stops driving the rudder prior to reaching the drive's limit or the rudder stops.

If the above has been satisfied, then the reported issue may also be indicative of a problem with the drive unit. When the problem is observed, the drive unit may be tested by disconnecting the drive unit's motor leads and then connecting them directly to the power circuit which is supplying power to the autopilot course computer. If the drive moves freely in both directions, then the drive would be considered to be operational.

Should above have been tested / verified and indicate no issues with the items listed above, then it would be recommended that the ACU-400 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
12-13-19, 08:59 PM
(12-09-19 02:29 PM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  The first thing to verify is that the ACU, EV-1, and autopilot control head have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, at this was a symptom which had been previously reported and had been addressed via a software change.

EV-1 Course Computer : 3.02 (RSCP V1 L4)
ACU400 Actuator 2.23 (RSCP V1 L4)

These appear to be the most up to date versions available.

(12-09-19 02:29 PM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  If the rudder moves beyond the rudder limits set within the autopilot's settings, then a Drive Stopped condition will occur. Accordingly, it would be recommended that you verify that a rudder reference transducer has been installed and that a) the maximum rudder angle produced when commanded to hard over does not exceed 30 degrees and that b) the rudder stops driving the rudder prior to reaching the drive's limit or the rudder stops.

The rudder reference transducer is installed and appears to be working correctly both when hand steering and when under autopilot.

I have also installed ferrules on the ends of the cable. Will report back if the symptom returns.

W
12-16-19, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
watsala,

Q1. EV-1 Course Computer : 3.02 (RSCP V1 L4)
ACU400 Actuator 2.23 (RSCP V1 L4)
These appear to be the most up to date versions available.
A1. Agreed.

Q2. The rudder reference transducer is installed and appears to be working correctly both when hand steering and when under autopilot.
A2. I was looking for more complete information on this subject. More specifically, what is the currently configured setting for the Rudder Limit (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->DRIVE SETTINGS->RUDDER LIMIT)? When the wheel is manually turned hard to starboard, what is the maximum rudder angle reported? When the wheel is manually turned hard to port, what is the maximum rudder angle reported?
12-19-19, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 08:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
When looking at the p70s and manually turning the wheel to the stop both port and starboard I get a maximum deflection reading on the display (30 degrees). The wheel turns a little further even when the display has reached 30 degrees.
12-19-19, 09:02 AM
watsala,

Please refer to the command sequence within my last post for determining the current value of the Rudder Limit configuration setting. Please also indicate the numerical value of the rudder angle reported when the rudder is manually steered hard over to each side ... you indicated that rudder can be turned more than 30 degrees.
12-20-19, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rudder limit is set to 30 deg.
Rudder can turn to 35 and 36 deg (port & starboard)
12-20-19, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 09:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
watsala,

I went back and looked at the history and it appears that the EV-400 was retrofit into the system, without replacement of the autopilot steering actuator. Drive stopped errors result when an ACU or legacy autopilot course computer issues rudder commands and does not sense the commanded movement of the rudder. The root cause of this issue may be any of the following:

- a rudder which has been commanded to rotate to a greater angle than is physically supported by the vessel (ex. rudder stop encountered, steering ram fully extended ... adjust rudder limit configuration setting to the lesser of 30 degrees or 2-3 degrees less than the hard over angle.

- failing rudder reference transducer ... Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Should the old rudder reference transducer not have been replaced when the Evolution autopilot was installed, then it is recommended that it be replaced with the rudder reference transducer included with the ACU-400.

- for hydraulic steering system, air within the hydraulic can cause the system to become airbound ... bleed the hydraulic steering system.

- drive FET failure within the ACU or legacy autopilot course computer ... this is an all or nothing failure. If the ACU can turn the rudder in each direction (i.e. voltage is being issued to the motor leads when steering in each direction is commmanded), then the ACU or legacy autopilot course computer would be considered to be operational. Send the ACU or legacy autopilot course computer to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

- failure / dead spot within drive unit ... have the drive unit tested / serviced.

- incompatible third party drive unit ... replace with appropriate Raymarine drive unit. Had this drive unit previously been successfully used underway with the EV-400 w/o producing a drive stopped error, then you may be somewhat assured that the third party drive unit is compatible.
12-20-19, 04:19 PM
(12-20-19 09:26 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  watsala,

- a rudder which has been commanded to rotate to a greater angle than is physically supported by the vessel (ex. rudder stop encountered, steering ram fully extended ... adjust rudder limit configuration setting to the lesser of 30 degrees or 2-3 degrees less than the hard over angle.

Did the check we did above rule this out?

- failing rudder reference transducer ... Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Should the old rudder reference transducer not have been replaced when the Evolution autopilot was installed, then it is recommended that it be replaced with the rudder reference transducer included with the ACU-400.

I have done this check and all appears ok. Its the rudder transducer that came with the boat.

- for hydraulic steering system, air within the hydraulic can cause the system to become airbound ... bleed the hydraulic steering system.

Will check this.

- drive FET failure within the ACU or legacy autopilot course computer ... this is an all or nothing failure. If the ACU can turn the rudder in each direction (i.e. voltage is being issued to the motor leads when steering in each direction is commmanded), then the ACU or legacy autopilot course computer would be considered to be operational. Send the ACU or legacy autopilot course computer to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

It has been working flawlessly for years.

- failure / dead spot within drive unit ... have the drive unit tested / serviced.

- incompatible third party drive unit ... replace with appropriate Raymarine drive unit. Had this drive unit previously been successfully used underway with the EV-400 w/o producing a drive stopped error, then you may be somewhat assured that the third party drive unit is compatible.

Yes as above I am satisfied over the last few years they are compatible.

It has not re faulted of late...will report back.

Thanks.

W
12-20-19, 04:36 PM
Noted.