Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms, integration and Auto Pilot help?
12-09-19, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-19 05:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading to Axioms, integration and Auto Pilot help?
Hello. I had a few compatibility questions as I am upgrading my electronics on my '88 rybo runner 30' cc. It has all 2005 Raymarine gear on it right now which I am for the most part changing out but I'd like to be able to retain a few things if possible. Any help on what's compatible or not and what route to take would be appreciated.
I just bought: Axiom RV 9" & 12" RV (the boat in box bundle that comes with the Ray53 vhf and RV-100 transom transducer and all the cabling). I also have on the way a 18" 4kw hd color new radome; (was this the right choice over the Quantum 2 as I kept going back and forth but thought the auto bird feature and weather tracking would be better on the digital hd?).
My old radar and displays/mfds will be completely removed, along with all cabling of them.
The Auto pilot I have (smart pilot autohelm series) does work good and wondering if can keep it with the Type 1 hydraulic pump (have twin 300 outboards), and keep the fluxgate compass and smart pilot course computer (I think is S1; it's 2005)? But the control head unit (ST8001)screen is shot with a big black blob permanently blocking all viewing so I was going to replace that with a New P70r control unit head I have; would this work?
If not what if I used that p70r head and new ACU-150 control computer and the EV-1 sensor core; will that work retaining the type 1 pump thats already there and the cables/wires that are there going back to the engines?
Want to keep my current 1kw transducer (Airmar B260) for the main reason of how it's mounted in the hull with a cut out in the keep the size of the entire head unit so the face sits flush with the keel, not lower below it. And also want to keep it for the deeper use offshore fishing in Florida. It is connected to a DSM (300 I think) which can't be integrated into the Axioms? So I was going to replace with a CP370 and that should work, correct?
I do have an issue with that transdcuer's cable though and not sure if it can be fixed or if I should bite the bullet and replace it now; the cable is frayed at about 2ft up from the stem and also right at the connection going into the stem. Anything I can do to prolong the life of that and / or replace that cable that goes into it somehow? If not, what would you suggest replacing it with as I was thinking jsut the same B260 as will fit that huge [censored] already in my keel, but is there a more cost effective better 1kw 50/200khz transducer to use that has the same head/face shape?
Want to sway the RV-100 transom mount for the RV-200 brass thru hull transducer and mount flush on my keel at a flat surface area, but am curios does it matter how far away its mounted in front of or behind the 1kw thru hull also mounted flush in the flat part of the keel? That is mounted with a cut out in the keel so it is flush, not with a fairing block.
Thank you in advance for any and all help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-19, 03:39 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms, integration and Auto Pilot help?
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum

Q1. The Auto pilot I have (smart pilot autohelm series) does work good and wondering if can keep it with the Type 1 hydraulic pump (have twin 300 outboards), and keep the fluxgate compass and smart pilot course computer (I think is S1; it's 2005)? But the control head unit (ST8001)screen is shot with a big black blob permanently blocking all viewing so I was going to replace that with a New P70r control unit head I have; would this work?
A1. It is quite possible that the autopilot control head may be replaced with a p70R autopilot control head. The key in making the determination would be positive identification of the currently installed autopilot course computer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing an compatible legacy autopilot would be interfaced to Data Master MFD within the new system.

Q2. If not what if I used that p70r head and new ACU-150 control computer and the EV-1 sensor core; will that work retaining the type 1 pump thats already there and the cables/wires that are there going back to the engines?
A2. This should also be possible ... as long as the boat features a 12 VDC power distribution system.

Q3. Want to keep my current 1kw transducer (Airmar B260) for the main reason of how it's mounted in the hull with a cut out in the keep the size of the entire head unit so the face sits flush with the keel, not lower below it. And also want to keep it for the deeper use offshore fishing in Florida. It is connected to a DSM (300 I think) which can't be integrated into the Axioms? So I was going to replace with a CP370 and that should work, correct?
A3. Correct on all counts. Regarding the DSM300, these sounder modules are not supported for use with Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL systems. Specifically, these system have not been specifically designed for use with nor officially tested with DSMs. However, anecdotal feedback has indicated no issues thus far in using an operational DSM with Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL systems. Accordingly, should your DSM300 be operational, then you might want to try it out with the new Axiom system before replacing it with a CP370. Should there be any sign of issue with the DSM300, then the DSM300 and its Power Cable should be replaced with a CP370 and its Power Cable.

Q4. I do have an issue with that transdcuer's cable though and not sure if it can be fixed or if I should bite the bullet and replace it now; the cable is frayed at about 2ft up from the stem and also right at the connection going into the stem. Anything I can do to prolong the life of that and / or replace that cable that goes into it somehow? If not, what would you suggest replacing it with as I was thinking jsut the same B260 as will fit that huge [censored] already in my keel, but is there a more cost effective better 1kw 50/200khz transducer to use that has the same head/face shape?
A4. This is a good subject to bring up. As indicated within the FAQ found here, Raymarine strongly recommends that transducer cables not be spliced or otherwise modified, as performance typically suffers. A shorted transducer cable may cause damage to the sounder module. I would recommend replacing the transducer with another time proven B260. I would recommend contacting Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) after having taken a photograph of the transducer's identification tag (located on the plug end of the transducer's cable). From the information printed on the tag, Gemeco may be able to confirm whether the currently installed fairing block may be retained for use with the new E66079 B260 1kW transducer.

Q5. Want to sway the RV-100 transom mount for the RV-200 brass thru hull transducer and mount flush on my keel at a flat surface area, but am curios does it matter how far away its mounted in front of or behind the 1kw thru hull also mounted flush in the flat part of the keel? That is mounted with a cut out in the keel so it is flush, not with a fairing block.
A5. The RV-100 is designed to be transom mounted. Should their presently be a CPT-200 installed on the transom and should it have performed well in that location, then it would be recommended that you consider installing the CP100 in that same location. The B260 would then be the transducer which would be relied upon for deep water sonar and additionally for tracking the bottom while on plane. From your description, it sounds as though you are seeking to adapt the RV-100 to be mounted in some fashion to the bottom of the hull.
12-11-19, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-19 09:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q4 The B260 is actually not mounted in a fairing block. The Keel has a flat surface part just forward of the center console and forward of the 2 steps (it's a double stepped deep-vee hull from 1988), where the keel fiberglass hull was actually cut to the shape of the face/head of the transducer and the face sits flush in line with the bottom of the keel so it does not protrude below it at all and is all continuously smooth. That is why if I do replace it not too keen on having to do any more cutting/glassing and would like to have the same shaped face put in there if not using the exact same B260.

Q5
I am looking to use the RV-200 (currently do not have an RV installed, just the B260). I was going to install it just aft of the B260 which is on the keel flat surface part, about midship center of the hull or slightly aft of center.

On a slightly different note; I am thinking of the options and maybe to go with the Axiom Pro RVX 9" and then an Axiom 12" chart-plotter/display only; Will that setup allow all of the features being used on the pro to be viewable/usable on the 12" display only kind of using it as a repeater display?
If that is the case I could then have the RV-200 transducer for the 3D/DV/SV/RV, and another 1kw thru hull for the deep sea ability like the B260, both plugged right into the back of the Axiom Pro and then can avoid having to go through the CP370? And would those then be view-able on the 'repeater screen' of the standard axiom 12" chartplotter display?

Basically I'm looking at wanting to have a 12" and a 9" display, the benefits of the realvision 3d etc for shallower waters and the 1kw deeper ability as well, and want to have the autopilot (either adopting my old system into the new or replacing with just the acu-150/ev-1/p70r) and connecting the 4kw hd color radome to it along with a vhf that receives AIS to display on the mfd's radar/chart and display/control my fusion radio on the mfd.s All while trying to do in the most economical way haha, I know asking a lot. So I originally was going with the deal on the 'boat in a box' Axiom 12 & 9 inch RV units but after having to add the remote key pad rmk-10, and possibly also the remote chart card reader with the addition of the cp370 for 1kw ability I'm now considering as I wrote about with the 1 Pro unit. My couple local retail stores weren't able to answer much at all so any input and guidance help would be much appreciated from all. Thank you.
12-11-19, 09:42 AM
Q1 The B260 is actually not mounted in a fairing block. The Keel has a flat surface part just forward of the center console and forward of the 2 steps (it's a double stepped deep-vee hull from 1988), where the keel fiberglass hull was actually cut to the shape of the face/head of the transducer and the face sits flush in line with the bottom of the keel so it does not protrude below it at all and is all continuously smooth. That is why if I do replace it not too keen on having to do any more cutting/glassing and would like to have the same shaped face put in there if not using the exact same B260.
A1. While is believe that you will find the the B260's shape and dimension have not changed and replacement should not require any modifications to the hull, Gemeco would be in the best position to confirm this. Again, providing them with the information printed on the currently installed transducer's tag would be recommended.

Q2. I am looking to use the RV-200 (currently do not have an RV installed, just the B260). I was going to install it just aft of the B260 which is on the keel flat surface part, about midship center of the hull or slightly aft of center.
A2. I would not generally advise installing transducers inline with one another, as any disturbance caused by the flow of water over the forward transducer may result in aeration of the RV transducer.

Q3. On a slightly different note; I am thinking of the options and maybe to go with the Axiom Pro RVX 9" and then an Axiom 12" chart-plotter/display only; Will that setup allow all of the features being used on the pro to be viewable/usable on the 12" display only kind of using it as a repeater display?
A3. This is a correct understanding of the capabilities of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs with regard to sharing data and system resources.

Q4. If that is the case I could then have the RV-200 transducer for the 3D/DV/SV/RV, and another 1kw thru hull for the deep sea ability like the B260, both plugged right into the back of the Axiom Pro and then can avoid having to go through the CP370? And would those then be view-able on the 'repeater screen' of the standard axiom 12" chartplotter display?
A4. Again, this is a correct understanding of the capabilities of the system. That said, anecdotal feedback from customers is that the depth & fish marking performance with 1kW and 600W transducers is better within systems utilizing a dedicated sonar module such as the CP370.
12-15-19, 06:04 PM
Ok I think I’ll upgrade the autopilot system too so can fully integrate with full functionality. Would the evolution with the acu-150 be the right one for a type 1 hydraulic pump already in place for trim 300’s. Thank you
12-16-19, 09:15 AM
SE-FL,

Q. Would the evolution with the acu-150 be the right one for a type 1 hydraulic pump already in place for trim 300’s.
A. Autopilot drive units are not selected by the number and horsepower rating of the vessel's outboard engines. They are instead determined based upon the information specified within the FAQ found here. Should the autopilot drive unit be correct for your vessel's steering system and should the vessel feature a 12VDC power distribution system, then a T70407 EV-150 Power Pilot Core Pack (Includes ACU150 Autopilot, P70Rs Power Head, EV-1 Sensor Core, and Autopilot Cabling Kit) would be recommended. It is not possible to simply replace the currently installed course computer with an ACU-150.
12-20-19, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-19 03:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Yes that is what I was referring to, the whole pack. That being said, now am starting fresh with all mostly all) new electronics to include the Axiom rv 9 and 12 displays and the Evolution autopilot ev-150 core pack with the p70rs control head, ACU-150, and the EV-1 sensor core. I am keeping the Type 1 hydraulic pump and lines in place as works fine.
The question is, my Smart Pilot I am replacing with all this has A Telefax Smart Stick AR4102 Rudder Reference Unit Centrek part # 930-839 attached to the system; can I / do I retain and use this connected to the ACU-150 in similar fashion as it is now connected?
12-20-19, 03:27 PM
SE-FL,

Q. The question is, my Smart Pilot I am replacing with all this has A Telefax Smart Stick AR4102 Rudder Reference Unit Centrek part # 930-839 attached to the system; can I / do I retain and use this connected to the ACU-150 in similar fashion as it is now connected?
A. Yes. Prior to removing the old course computer from the boat, note the course computer's RUDDER terminal color that each of the rudder reference transducer's leads have been connected to and then connect these leads to the same colored RUDDER terminals of the ACU-150.
12-20-19, 06:39 PM
Ok great thank you for the help. Another quick one, I have a GA150 gps antenna, what would be the best use of it with this autopilot setup and the 2 axiom rv displays and ray53 vhf and icom 502 vhf? Connected to one of the vhf’s, or one of the axioms? It can not be on the network and used by all somehow now can it?
12-23-19, 10:50 AM
SE-FL,

Q. I have a GA150 gps antenna, what would be the best use of it with this autopilot setup and the 2 axiom rv displays and ray53 vhf and icom 502 vhf? Connected to one of the vhf’s, or one of the axioms? It can not be on the network and used by all somehow now can it?
A. In system installations which do not afford MFD w/internal GPS Sensor to be afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, etc.) or passive GPS antenna (ex. GA150 GPS Antenna) may be required. Either an external GPS sensor or passive GPS antenna would be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. If an external GPS sensor having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface is installed onboard, then it would simply be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The benefit of this option is that it permits maximum flexibility with regard to operating the system with one or more of the system's devices switched OFF. In such a system, as long as the backbone is powered, the other devices which have been interfaced to the backbone will be supplied with GPS data.

Alternatively, a GA150 Passive GPS Antenna may be installed and interfaced to the Ray53, which may then be configured to transmit GPS data determined via its internal GPS receiver to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone for use by the system's devices. In such systems, it would be recommended that the Data Sources Feature of the Data Master MFD, p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS autopilot control head, or i70/i70S MFID be used to designate the Ray53 as the system's data source for GPS, Date & Time, and GPS Datum data.