Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Two Axiom Pro 12s - What Works when One is Off?
12-17-19, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-19 01:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Two Axiom Pro 12s - What Works when One is Off?
Hi,

I have two new Axiom Pro 12 units, one in the salon and one on the flybridge connected via RayNet. I'm on a mission to sort out and fix my network integration and power setup for the electronics on the boat.

My first thing to figure out is whether the radar, depthsounder, and Navionics charts "should" work when the "connected" unit is OFF? The Quantum Radar is connected to the flybridge Axiom Pro 12 via RayNet. The depthsounder is connected to the salon Axiom Pro 12. The two Axiom units are connected to each other via RayNet directly. The charts are normally left in the salon unit.

To be clear, I LOVE the great post on networking in the Important Threads section. I'll use it to correct all my various power setup issues left over from previous installations done poorly.

Thanks, Hube Hopkins
M/V Aurora (GB42)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-19, 02:02 PM
RE: [CA11] Two Axiom Pro 12s - What Works when One is Off?
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Hube,

Q1. My first thing to figure out is whether the radar, depthsounder, and Navionics charts "should" work when the "connected" unit is OFF?
A1. Unlike an Axiom XL MFD, when an Axiom MFD or Axiom Pro MFD has been switched OFF, then all communications interfaces of the Axiom MFD or Axiom Pro MFD will be non-operational. The Ethernet switch functionality of Axiom XL MFDs will persist as long as circuit supplying power to the Axiom XL MFD is switched ON (regardless of whether the Axiom XL MFD is switched ON). Accordingly should a device such as a radome be interfaced directly to one of the Axiom Pro MFD's Ethernet communications ports and that MFD be switched OFF, then no other MFDs within the system will have access to the radome until such time as the MFD is switched ON again. For this reason, those seeking a level of redundancy and/or flexibility in switching some of the system's MFDs OFF when not needed will opt to forgo the additional Ethernet interface of the Axiom Pro MFDs and instead connect all compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface to the system's Ethernet switch(es) (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch, legacy SeaTalkHS Network Switch).

The internal fishfinder of MFDs which have been switched OFF will neither be accessible nor supply fishfinder features/data to the system's other MFDs. Similarly, cartography from a chart card(s) which is within the memory card reader of a MFD which have been switched OFF will not be accessible to the system's other MFDs.
12-18-19, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 09:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks so much. That clears it up exactly and I know what I'm dealing with.

I can see it's far better to wire the radar via the HS5 RayNet Network Switch instead of directly to a MFD if you need the maximum flexibility.

Best, Hube
12-19-19, 09:36 AM
You're welcome.