Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Connecting to an i70
12-19-19, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 04:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Connecting to an i70
I am fitting an AIS700 to an existing Raymarine installation. There is an i70 instrument handy and I could connect the sea talk cable from the ais unit to the spare port on the back of the i70. This seems to be allowed in the i70 manual but does not feature in any of the example networks. As the newer i70s has only the one port for sea talk I wonder if there is a problem with connecting to my, older i70. So, my question, can I connect my ais to the i70 or do I need to get a new point on my existing backbone? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-19, 04:22 PM
RE: [CA11] Connecting to an i70
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sailor112,

While it would technically possible daisy chain the AIS700 to the i70 if the total length of spur cable used within the resulting daisy chain was less than 6m, if installing per NMEA 2000 standards, then each product should be interfaced as an individual spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Accordingly, it would be considered to be a best installation practice to add a spur socket to the backbone to accommodate the AIS700.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply