Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Sonar sync with dragonfly pro 4 and 5 and navionics charts
01-02-20, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-20 03:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Sonar sync with dragonfly pro 4 and 5 and navionics charts
Sorry if this is not in the correct place but my first time on the forum.
When I first bought my dragonfly pro 4 a few years ago I downloaded navionics app to my android phone and paid and was successfully managing to sync and upload community edits. Now I get messages saying that I don't have suitable card. I had the original lighthouse card in there, but have since lost it with doing updates and believe that there may have been some kind of encryption on that SD card that allowed me to do the sync without having to use a navionics gold card etc. Is this true or is the encryption embedded into the dragonfly pro 4 or its software?
Or have navionics or raymarine changed the sync requirements. How do I get sync to work again without having to pay more than I did for the dragonfly on a navionics card which is what the dragonfly dealer is telling me . I don't think I have the original 2gb SD card and if I do, it's probably been overwritten.
What minimum card would I need to buy from navionics to get this feature to work again for use in South island, New Zealand
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-20, 06:58 PM
RE: [TG11] Sonar sync with dragonfly pro 4 and 5 and navionics charts
Hello psh12001,

Earlier versions of the Navionics app perhaps did less checking in the back-end, but there are certainly restrictions on Navionics' side about what their app will sync and when. Waypoints, routes and tracks require (I believe) just an active app subscription, but chart data such as community edits requires an active subscription on both the app and a Navionics chart card inserted into the MFD, and matching chart coverage regions on both chart card and app: see https://www.navionics.com/aus/charts/fea...otter-sync for more detail. This isn't a Raymarine restriction but a Navionics one. I don't suppose that chart data was ever intentionally transferred by Navionics onto a non-Navionics chart card - I assume it was working 'by accident' before in your case - and know of no way to do this now without buying and registering a Navionics chart that has the same coverage region as your app does.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
01-03-20, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the reply... The navionics link you provided says
Raymarine users can also upload sonar logs for improved SonarChartâ„¢ even without an active subscription on plotter or mobile.. This seems to imply that I don't need to buy any charts... But the pro 4 only came with lighthouse charts, not navionics..

I am almost certain that when I bought the Pro 4 that this was one of its features on the old Australia and nz navionics app, but now they have changed the app, it doesn't seem to work anymore

I will buy the navionics plus nz regions msd card for it and hopefully it will work then. Once I have found a supplier. Which should match the same area as my navionics app I subscribe to.
Cheers Paul

Earlier versions of the Navionics app perhaps did less checking in the back-end, but there are certainly restrictions on Navionics' side about what their app will sync and when. Waypoints, routes and tracks require (I believe) just an active app subscription, but chart data such as community edits requires an active subscription on both the app and a Navionics chart card inserted into the MFD, and matching chart coverage regions on both chart card and app: see https://www.navionics.com/aus/charts/fea...otter-sync for more detail. This isn't a Raymarine restriction but a Navionics one. I don't suppose that chart data was ever intentionally transferred by Navionics onto a non-Navionics chart card - I assume it was working 'by accident' before in your case - and know of no way to do this now without buying and registering a Navionics chart that has the same coverage region as your app does.

Regards,
Tom
[/quote]
01-05-20, 04:46 PM
Quote:Raymarine users can also upload sonar logs for improved SonarChartâ„¢ even without an active subscription on plotter or mobile.. This seems to imply that I don't need to buy any charts... But the pro 4 only came with lighthouse charts, not navionics..
In NZ, where there are free raster Lighthouse charts available, Dragonfly was offered with them to reduce the purchase price. Navionics was always an option there, as here in Australia (where there are no Lighthouse charts and users need to buy either C-Map or Navionics.)
If you have Navionics charts, and enable Sonar logging, you can upload those logs to Navionics without an active subscription. You cannot hoiwever then download the results (improved SonarCharts) without a subscription. I didn't think that logging depth data and uploading it to Navionics without being able to download and use the improved charts relating from that data would benefit you, which is why I didn't mention it.

Yes, I'm sure that once you get a Navionics chart card, the Navionics features you've asked about will work.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.