Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Time Zone Change
01-02-20, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-20 12:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tongue [CA11] Time Zone Change
On November 3rd of 2019, I was sailing West to East in Gulf of Mexico. At some point we changed from the Central to the Eastern time zone. AND on that Sunday night Daylight savings time ended. Several hours later I noticed the time of day (and my arrival time) on the Axiom 9 was off an odd amount. I forget the exact amount but it was not even hours it was something like 4 hours and 20 minutes. What ever the exact time difference it didn't make any sense. I wouldn't have been surprised if the device didn't acclimate for DST but this made no sense. The only difficulty was the designated arrival time at the sea buoy Tampa Bay--which was off accordingly. It took two manual time correction edits to get the correct time to register. Nothing else seemed to be a problem and on the trip back West when we changed back to Central time the clock adjusted. My location never seemed to be inaccurate only the arrival time to the way-point was off. I thought the GPS needed the correct time of day to function?? Does the system have two clocks? Was this a DST bug? Should I stay in my own time zone?? ;)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-20, 12:46 PM
RE: [CA11] Time Zone Change
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

While the configuration settings of a MFD are used to determine the local time offset to be applied to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), one of the system's GPS receivers will be responsible for determining UTC from GPS satellite signal. Weak GPS satellite signal, may cause loss of UTC. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when an external GPS sensor may be required. Generally, a high HDOP value reported within the system's GPS status dialog would indicate that an external GPS receiver/sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor) should be added to the system. A GPS receiver having an unobstructed view of the skies overhead will report a HDOP value of 1.0 or less (less is better). It also strongly recommended that when a system features more than one GPS receiver, that the Data Sources feature of the system's Data Master MFD, i70S/i70 MFID, or Evolution autopilot control head be used to manually designate the system's GPS receiver having the most unobstructed view of the skies overhead as the system's Data Source for not only GPS data, but also for GPS datum, and Date & Time.

Finally, with regard to waypoint arrival time, earlier LightHouse 3 software featured a defect in which it was incorrectly reporting waypoint arrival time. If the system's MFDs are not currently operating with LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 or later software, then it is recommended that the software within the system's MFD be update with the latest available Raymarine product software update. Should the problem persist thereafter and the above listed items have been addressed, then it would be recommended that a Power On Factory Reset operation be performed to correct the reported symptom.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply