Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Rudder feedback
01-06-20, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-20 05:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Rudder feedback
I am in the process of installing an EV200 autopilot on my 28' Carver Mariner. I have purchased an Octopus type-S drive and also purchased the Octopus rudder feedback module. I noticed that the EV-200 also came with a rudder feedback system. Would you recommend I use the supplied RFB or can I use the octopus since it's so easy to install?
Thanks,
Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-20, 05:29 PM
RE: [CA11] Rudder feedback
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bill,

For those who purchase Octopus Type R Mechanical Remote Drives or Type S/T Dashboard Drives, it is recommended that they also purchase the optional Optional Rudder Feedback Unit from Octopus and interface it to the Raymarine autopilot per the wiring instructions provided within the installation guide for the Octopus drive. As you have suggested, these mount directly to the drives themselves, making for an easy installation.
01-11-20, 06:06 PM
Thank you for your reply Chuck. I installed the system today and when I tried commissioning the system, I get "Task Fail - inconsistent values" during the rudder test (center, port, starboard, center). If I press on, and test the drive, the system drives the wheel hard right and doesn't stop until I go to standby.

I have a very simple system:

EV-1, ACU-200, P70RS, ES78 MFD.

I am not supplying additional power to the SeaTalk ng network, I am powering it from the ACU.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bill
01-13-20, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-20 03:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bill,

It is recommended that you verify that the rudder reference transducer has been interfaced to the ACU in the manner specified by Octopus. If so, then verify that the autopilot's EV-1, ACU, and p70S have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update and if not, update the software within these products accordingly. The currently installed software may be determined via the autopilot's diagnostics (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM). After doing so, it is recommended that a Pilot Factory Reset be performed and that the autopilot's Dockside Wizard be executed again. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that Support Team at Octopus be contacted to inform them that the rudder reference transducer is failing to pass the autopilot's dockside test (inconsistent values).
01-25-20, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-20 08:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, I just wanted to let you know what I found on this. The rudder feedback module from Octopus was the issue, the sprocket wheel on the unit was pushed too far in on the shaft and was not engaging with the sprocket wheel inside the drive unit. Once I pushed the wheel out to the end of the shaft, it engaged properly and all the dockside wizard tests passed.

Thanks,
Bill
01-27-20, 11:39 AM
You're welcome.