Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CA] [CA11] I50 Depth and Fish Finder
01-13-20, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-20 10:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] I50 Depth and Fish Finder
Andrew,

General comment: Please note that unlike the ST4000+/ST5000+, the ST4000/ST5000 autopilots are not supported (have not been tested) for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter. It is typically recommended that autopilot designs which preceded the ST4000+/ST5000+ be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications to the current generation of equipment. To do so, the autopilot would be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. Next, an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device would typically be interfaced as spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The NMEA 0183 output leads of the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG would then be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input terminals of the ST4000/ST5000 to support providing the autopilot with wind and navigational data to support Vane mode and Track mode respectively.

Q1. Do I need separate power to Seatalkng 5 way connector and Element MFD?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Do ST60 wind and ST4000 Autopilot require Seatalk1 to Seatalkng connector?
A2. See comment above, as the ST4000 will need to be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus.

Q3. What do you think of my wiring diagram (attached)?
A3. Other than the changes specified within my opening comment and response to Q2, your diagram appears to be correct in all respects except for Termination plugs (these should be installed in the two unoccupied backbone sockets) and DeviceNet (F) to STng Spur Adapter (required to mate the Element display's NMEA 2000 socket to a NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.

Q4. I have I60 wind (from old boat) and better wind instrument which I would eventually replace. Does this mean that I would no longer need Seatalk1 to Seatalkng connector?
A4. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would not be required if the ST60 Wind instrument was replaced with an i60 Wind instrument.

Q5. If I were to integrate I60 wind, what would be the compatible replacement for ST4000 autohelm?
A5. The answer to this question is dependent upon the make/model of autopilot drive unit which is presently installed onboard the vessel. If supplied with this information along the weight of the vessel (if a sailboat) or steering ram capacity (if vessel features hydraulic steering) then we may be able to advise regarding a replacement for the ST4000 autopilot (control head/course computer).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] I50 Depth and Fish Finder - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-13-20 10:46 AM