Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Lighthouse 19 compatibility with S2G course computer
01-08-20, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-20 11:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Lighthouse 19 compatibility with S2G course computer
I currently have a C95 and C125 MFD system on a recently purchased boat running software version 2.10 and would like to upgrade to Lighthouse 19.03. My overall system also includes:

E22158 Seatalk1 to Seatalk NG converter, software 1.10
iTC5 instrument transducer converter, software 1.05
(2) p70 control heads
(4) i70 multifunction instruments

AIS650, software 040200.01.03.00
Seatalk SR6 Sirus Marine weather, software unknown
Digital HD Radome, software 3.16

E12091 SmartPilot S2G AST course computer, software unknown

I see in the 19.03 software update info. that updates will be included for the MFD's, converters, p70, and i70 components. It looks like the AIS unit can separately be updated to software v2.02 (040200_02_02_00). Not sure about the SR6 weather instrument, Digital Radome, or S2G course computer as they do not seem to have software updates listed.

Of most concern to me is the SmartPilot S2G and am wondering if I update to Lighthouse 19.03 (with all the related component software updates), will the S2G course computer still interface and operate properly with the whole system?

Also, is it actually necessary to also update the AIS650, SR6, and Digital Radome as well or will they work with their existing software versions and Lighthouse 19.03?

Everything is working now so don't want to create new problems by updating software unnecessarily.

Thanks,

tmass60
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-20, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-20 09:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Lighthouse 19 compatibility with S2G course computer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tony,

The software levels within these product is indeed quite old. With regard to the MFDs, there were more than 19 software updates alone, each adding new features, performance, and compatibility with other products, as well as feature corrections. Please note that should you ever have a problem(s) with the system, these older versions of software are not supported and you would be likely directed to update the software within them before further assistance could be rendered. The choice is essentially up to you to continue on with the system as you know it, or update the system and learn the LightHouse II software interface. Of the equipment listed, all would be compatible with a system of MFDs running LightHouse II v19.03 software. When updating the software within the MFDs, it is recommended that if the current software level is lower than v6.47 that the software be updated in three steps:
1) back up any waypoint, route, and track data of value to a microSD memory card
2) update the software within the system's MFDs to v6.27 w/cartography ... it is recommended that this software version be installed twice and that a System Settings & Data Reset be commanded following the update
3) update the software within the system's MFDs to v13.37 ... this step may be skipped if no waypoint, route, or track data was backed up in step 1)
4) import the backed up waypoint, route, or track data into the memory of the Data Master MFD ... this step may be skipped if no waypoint, route, or track data was backed up in step 1)
5) update the software within the system's MFDs to LightHouse II v19.03

Q1. I see in the 19.03 software update info. that updates will be included for the MFD's, converters, p70, and i70 components.
A1. Correct. If the i70's software level is v1.08, its boot code will need to be updated before its software may be updated. Likewise, if the p70's software level is v1.04, its boot code will need to be updated before its software may be updated.

Q2. It looks like the AIS unit can separately be updated to software v2.02 (040200_02_02_00).
A2. Correct

Q3. Not sure about the SR6 weather instrument, Digital Radome, or S2G course computer as they do not seem to have software updates listed.
A3. Neither are end user software updates are available for these products, nor would any update to these items be required to permit communications with a MFD running LHII v19.03 software.

Q4. Of most concern to me is the SmartPilot S2G and am wondering if I update to Lighthouse 19.03 (with all the related component software updates), will the S2G course computer still interface and operate properly with the whole system?
A4. No need to worry here. Just ensure that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been updated with the latest available software update.

Q5. Also, is it actually necessary to also update the AIS650, SR6, and Digital Radome as well or will they work with their existing software versions and Lighthouse 19.03?
A5. As indicated above there are no end user software updates are available for the SR6 and Digital Radome. It is recommended that the AIS650's software be updated. This is easily accomplished with a SD memory card.
01-10-20, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-20 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck - thanks for the detailed reply. A couple related questions ...

Q1. Does it matter which order I update the two MFD's? Existing master first?

Q2. Can you send me a link for instructions on updating the i70 and p70 boot codes in case that is necessary?

Thanks,

Tony
01-10-20, 09:51 AM
Tony,

Q1. Does it matter which order I update the two MFD's? Existing master first?
A1. I generally recommend updating the software within the system's Data Master MFD prior to updating the software within the system's other MFDs.

Q2. Can you send me a link for instructions on updating the i70 and p70 boot codes in case that is necessary?
A2. The current software levels of the i70 and p70 may be determined from their respective diagnostics. If these products are currently operating with v1.15 or v1.06 respectively ... or a later version of software, then no bootcode update is required.

The bootcode for the i70 and p70 install no differently than any other software updates performed via a MFD running the latest software. In short the system's MFD's will be updated with LHII v19.03 software. After doing so, the bootcode iso file for one of these devices will be downloaded from the i70's or p70's software update web page and will be copied to the root level directory of a microSD memory card. The MFD will be switched ON and permitted to complete initialization. The microSD memory card containing the bootcode .iso file will then be inserted into the MFD's memory card reader, after which, the a dialog will be displayed alerting the operating the new software updates have been detected. Simply elect to proceed with the update when prompted.
05-11-20, 12:11 PM
Hi Chuck - hope all is good with you in these crazy times.

Thank you for all the software upgrade info. in the thread below. I believe I have successfully upgraded all the components in my system (see attachments). Had a few issues trying to get the system to recognize the boot code upgrade for one of my P70's and for the Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter but all in all this went very smoothly with your assistance below. Thanks again!

I have discovered that my wind transducer that was working fine before the upgrade (not sure of the model number but suspect it is E22078) is now reflecting data from the wrong direction. It is connected thru the iTC5 converter. I suspect I have to re-calibrate/align it? Assuming yes, a few questions ...

1) The wind calibration would be one through one of the four I70 displays right? If yes, does it matter which one and/or I assume it only needs to be done on one of the displays?

2) What exactly is the difference between the "calibrate" and "align" operations? If I am confident in the wind speed results but not direction do I only need to align?

3) Due to an unrelated matter (it appears my stored cordless drill slipped into a position too close the compass and and was throwing off the reading), I also want to use my P70 control to swing and GPS correct the fluxgate compass which is connected via the course computer. Seeing I will be going in circles anyway for the wind instrument, can I calibrate both at the same time and/or if no, does it matter which calibration I do first?

4) At some point hopefully relatively soon I hope to replace the fluxgate and S2G with the newer EV1 and ACU-200. I noticed my S2G does not require the RF connection but the ACU-200 does. I believe I have access to the copper grounding/bonding wire system for the boat in the general area of where the S2G/ACU-200 will be mounted. Just want to be sure I don't have to worry about introducing any stray DC current via the ACU-200 into the bonding system and introduce a new possible source of electrolytic corrosion?

Best regards,

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-11-20, 02:00 PM
Hi Tony,

Q1) The wind calibration would be one through one of the four I70 displays right? If yes, does it matter which one and/or I assume it only needs to be done on one of the displays?
A1-You can perform the wind calibration from any of the i70 displays.

Q2) What exactly is the difference between the "calibrate" and "align" operations? If I am confident in the wind speed results but not direction do I only need to align?
A2-Align is usually associated with direction. Calibrate is usually associated with speed. These terms can be interchangeable depending on the context.

Q3) Due to an unrelated matter (it appears my stored cordless drill slipped into a position too close the compass and and was throwing off the reading), I also want to use my P70 control to swing and GPS correct the fluxgate compass which is connected via the course computer. Seeing I will be going in circles anyway for the wind instrument, can I calibrate both at the same time and/or if no, does it matter which calibration I do first?
A3-You can perform the wind and pilot calibration at the same time.

Q4) At some point hopefully relatively soon I hope to replace the fluxgate and S2G with the newer EV1 and ACU-200. I noticed my S2G does not require the RF connection but the ACU-200 does. I believe I have access to the copper grounding/bonding wire system for the boat in the general area of where the S2G/ACU-200 will be mounted. Just want to be sure I don't have to worry about introducing any stray DC current via the ACU-200 into the bonding system and introduce a new possible source of electrolytic corrosion?
A4-you can view the ACU-200 has a newer version of the S2G. If the S2G did not need it then you will be fine with the swap.

Chris,
05-12-20, 09:53 AM
Hi Chris - a couple of follow-up questions ...

Q1/A1 - just wondering if the need to re-calibrate the wind instrument after the software upgrade is a common issue or if I might have something else that has gone wrong?

Q4/A4 - the S2G install manual states no RF connection should be made and does not have a connection for it whereas the ACU-200 is exactly the opposite. Just so I'm clear - are saying that seeing my system did not seem to have RFi issues previously it is unlikely it will be an issue with the ACU-200 as well and therefore the connection is not needed?

Thanks,

Tony
05-12-20, 11:44 AM
Hi Tony,

Re-calibration of instruments is common practice. We typically recommend performing calibration at the beginning of every other season or every season as part of normal sea trials.

are saying that seeing my system did not seem to have RFi issues previously it is unlikely it will be an issue with the ACU-200 as well and therefore the connection is not needed? yes.

Chris,