Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] i70s - Lighthouse Documentation?
01-13-20, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-20 03:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] i70s - Lighthouse Documentation?
Hi Chuck!

I'm looking at potentially using an i70s as an electronic compass. The "i70s Installation and operation instructions 81364-1-EN.pdf" has a section about configuring Data but does not describe any of the screens shown on the product page, which notes "The LightHouse instrument interface is consistent with Raymarine LightHouse multifunction displays, so Raymarine MFD users will feel right at home with the i70s". But I cannot find any mention of this style of display in the Lighthouse 3.11 docs and I cannot find an instrument-specific Lighthouse doc. Can you point me to something?

Regards,
Keith

Lulu: 36' Little Harbor WhisperJet
Raymarine: Axiom 12 RV, RV200, Axiom 12 Pro, Evo 1/ACU 150/P70RS, Quantum Q24C, HS5
---previous----
Refugio: 44' trawler
Raymarine: ACU-400, EV-1, P70R, a78, M81105 RFU, ST60 RAI, E22158 ST-STNG
NMEA 2000: Garmin 740S & GMR18 HD, Airmar WS-200WX, Actisense NGT-1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-20, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-20 03:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] i70s - Lighthouse Documentation?
Keith,

When operating with the latest available software, the i70S and i70 MFID will each display identical graphics and support the same options. Unfortunately, the documentation for the i70S and i70 MFIDs does not show every graphic and data combination possible ... the combinations and permutations would simply make including such infeasible. Are you simply seeking for the i70S/i70 MFID to repeat heading from your autopilot? If so and should the i70S/i70 MFID be interfaced to the backbone to which the autopilot has also been interfaced, then the heading data value may be expressed within multigauge graphic, as numerical value, or as a graphic displaying heading alone. An image of the multigauge graphic which I have referenced is shown below.

[Image: i70s_Hero_Front.jpg]
01-15-20, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-20 04:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Well...I started with that idea of something parallel to my P70R to replace an existing compass and - left over from a legacy Northstar package - a KVH Azimuth sensor. And I noticed the docs for the i70s list TTG as a data box option (though I'm suspecting that's the leg, not route...any word on getting RTE TTG into the next Lighthouse? :)).

And then I noticed the single engine view also shown on that page. I'm struggling to configure two engines with the Axioms (dashboard only works in one split layout, compressing the two engines overlaps the circular gauges, the built-in fields are not configurable) and the i70s single engine gauge looks...interesting. I could potentially use two of them instead of the dual engine Lighthouse view on the Axiom 7 I've been planning to use.

So...I don't need ALL views but I am interested in a) electronic compass, b) other N2K data like RTE TTG, and c) engine views. I can buy an i70s and add it to the network in my office to figure out what it does, but I was really hoping there was some kind of documentation. Like when I assumed the Axiom Pro could function as a linkable control because it LOOKS like an RMK-10 and only found out after installing everything that it did not work that way, I'd like to know how this equipment operates before carving up my helm.

Raymarine: Axiom 12 RV, RV200, Axiom 12 Pro, Evo 1/ACU 150/P70RS, Quantum Q24C, HS5
---previous----
01-15-20, 04:33 PM
Keith,

Q1. And I noticed the docs for the i70s list TTG as a data box option (though I'm suspecting that's the leg, not route...any word on getting RTE TTG into the next Lighthouse? :)).
A1. As you have suggested, when following a route, the TTG and ETA referenced within the i70S manual would be for the arrival at the currently navigated route leg's destination.

Q2. And then I noticed the single engine view also shown on that page. I'm struggling to configure two engines with the Axioms (dashboard only works in one split layout, compressing the two engines overlaps the circular gauges, the built-in fields are not configurable) and the i70s single engine gauge looks...interesting. I could potentially use two of them instead of the dual engine Lighthouse view on the Axiom 7 I've been planning to use.
A2. When operating with the latest i70S/i70 software, these MFIDs will support displaying engine data for up to five engines. As you have suggested, these MFIDs may each be dedicated to displaying data from different engines. The best way to see how the data may be displayed would be visit a Raymarine dealer having an i70S or i70 on display. Then, the displays default pages may be viewed and modified to view the data item(s) desired. In this case, I would recommend displaying the default page having a single data item, and then use the Quick Options feature (MENU->QUICK OPTIONS->EDIT PAGE) to configure the page to be populated with which data item you may chose and which ever format (graphical or numerical) which is supported.

Q3. I assumed the Axiom Pro could function as a linkable control because it LOOKS like an RMK-10 and only found out after installing everything that it did not work that way.
A3. It's not clear what you have described as "linkable" in the statement above. Can you expand on this. Unlike the RMK-9/10 Remote Keypads, the keypad which is built into an Axiom Pro MFD is exclusively designed to control the MFD which houses it. Should the issue differ from this, then I would be glad to address this as well, but if not related to the i70S, I would recommend including it within another thread.
01-16-20, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 10:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you again Chuck!

I think I'll just buy one and hook it up at home to experiment with. I'm a little puzzled by the documentation for the simulation mode though:

"Note: The Simulator will not product simulated data if other product are present on the SeaTalkng® network."

I think that should be 'PRODUCE simulated data' - but is that correct? Would that mean that it would be necessary to power off (or disconnect) every other device on the STNG network?

---previous----
01-16-20, 10:48 AM
Keith,

Indeed, the documentation is correct with regard to the simulator of the i70/i70S MFIDs. At boat shows, when seeking to use the simulator of the i70/i70S, these instruments are simply connected to a SeaTalkng Power Cable ... and nothing else.
01-16-20, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 07:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks one more time Chuck!

---previous----
01-17-20, 09:55 AM
You're welcome.
01-20-20, 06:55 PM
Hi Chuck:

Well, after a couple of hours playing with the i70s I was able to (almost) replicate the screens shown on the Raymarine web site. There is one Heading - Multi-Gauge that shows the view you posted but, as far as I can determine, not a single field on that gauge is configurable.

The Engine Overview only has one configuration option, and that's only for the left-hand gauge - Coolant Temp or Trim Position. It does not have the option for the Oil Temp as shown in the image on the site.

I wasn't sure I had the latest software update so I update from 3.11 to 3.16 - and it blew away all my settings. There apparently isn't an option to persist them anywhere, but I didn't get a warning. Ouch.

It seems like there should be an additional configuration mode - the only two configuration menus are "Quick Options" and "Data (quick view)" - is there some way to get this unit into a mode where it's possible to configure the several built-in views?

Regards,
Keith

---previous----
01-21-20, 11:19 AM
Keith,

Q. There is one Heading - Multi-Gauge that shows the view you posted but, as far as I can determine, not a single field on that gauge is configurable. It seems like there should be an additional configuration mode - the only two configuration menus are "Quick Options" and "Data (quick view)" - is there some way to get this unit into a mode where it's possible to configure the several built-in views?
A. Negative. While actually reporting more than piece of data within a single graphical display, data items such as Heading (Multi-Gauge), 1 & 2 Engine Overview, Rolling Road, etc. are treated as a single data item and as such cannot be edited to change the data items displayed within them.