Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Swapping out (2) E95's for (2) Axiom 12's?
01-14-20, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-20 08:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Swapping out (2) E95's for (2) Axiom 12's?
I'm swapping out my E95's for Axiom 12's. Basically I'm just using the A06075 Seatalk to Device Net adapter cables in place of the current spur cables to connect the Axioms to the Seatalk backbone. Is this all I have to do? I have attached a diagram of what it will look like and I'm just looking for confirmation that this set-up will indeed function properly. Let me know. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-20, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 02:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Swapping out (2) E95's for (2) Axiom 12's?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Grady330,

Please note that no diagram was attached to your thread.

Q1. I'm just using the A06075 Seatalk to Device Net adapter cables in place of the current spur cables to connect the Axioms to the Seatalk backbone.
A1. This cable is indeed part of the solution. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In short, the ease of swapping the MFDs is in some measure dependent upon the devices which will be interfaced to the Axiom MFDs. Should the current system feature devices which have been interfaced to the NMEA 0183 and/or video input interfaces, or should these MFD be interfaced to other compatible devices having a an Ethernet (RayNet, SeaTalkhs, RJ45) then replacement with Axiom Pro S MFDs may be easier, as Axiom MFDs lack a NMEA 0183 interface, analog video input interface, and only feature one Ethernet communications interface per Axiom MFD ... eS9x MFDs each feature a pair of Ethernet communications interfaces per eS9x MFD.
01-15-20, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 09:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
My proposed system diagram is attached to this post.
01-16-20, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 02:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Grady330,

The CP470 and HD Radar are designed to support Ethernet communications and as such would not be interfaced to a backbone as shown within your diagram. As indicated within my initial response, unlike the Axiom Pro MFDs and e95 MFDs, the Axiom MFD feature only one Ethernet communications interface. Should you elect to proceed with Axiom MFDs rather than Axiom Pro MFDs, then it will be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Ethernet communications interface of each Axiom MFD and CP470 will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The Digital Radar Cable will also be connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Should you elect to install a pair of Axiom Pro MFDs and should the system not presently feature a HS5 RayNet Network Switch, then the RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables and Digital Radar Cable may simply be unplugged from the e9x MFDs and will instead be interfaced to the Axiom Pro MFDs.

Finally, the diagram does not accurately represent how an EV400 Power Pilot would be interfaced to a backbone. The EV400 Power Pilot is essentially comprised of an EV-1 CCU, ACU400, a drive unit, and possibly an p70R/p70RS/p70/p70S autopilot control head. The system's data Master MFD, EV-1 CCU, ACU400, and p70R/p70RS/p70/p70S autopilot control head should each be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Unlike the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 port of an e95 MFD, the NMEA 2000 port of an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD features a DeviceNet (M) socket rather than a SeaTalkng spur socket. Accordingly, any of the 3 solutions provided within the FAQ found here may be used to adapt Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD's DeviceNet (M) socket to permit the MFD to be interfaced to a SeaTalkng spur socket within the aforementioned backbone.
01-16-20, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 11:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Right now there is no switch in my current network and my current CP370 and my HD radar plug into a 5 way connector. Nothing plugs directly into the MFD's themselves. The MFD's also plug into the 5 way connector. The MFD's are connected together with a raynet cable. So what your are saying is I can't simply use the Device net adapter on the Axiom's to adapt to the current cables that plug into the E95 and E97 and be done?
01-16-20, 01:50 PM
Grady330,

Q1. Right now there is no switch in my current network and my current CP370 and my HD radar plug into a 5 way connector.
A1. You are mistaken. I suggest that you examine the installation again. Given your description, you will quite likely find that one of the 5 way connectors which you have referenced is a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. As the Axiom MFDs only feature a single Ethernet communications interface per my earlier response, it will not be possible to daisy chain the MFDs to one another. Instead, each MFD will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Q2. So what your are saying is I can't simply use the Device net adapter on the Axiom's to adapt to the current cables that plug into the E95 and E97 and be done?
A2. The DeviceNet adapter will be required to interface the Data Master MFD to a spur socket within the backbone. Given the equipment which you have listed and as indicated within the response to Q1, the second MFD will need to be disconnected from the first and will instead be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.
01-16-20, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-20 02:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Last question I swear! What if I used (1) regular Axiom 12 S and (1) Axiom Pro S? Would this allow me to avoid the HS5 Raynet switch and simply use a 5 way seatalk connector? Could I run my B265lm CHIRP transducer directly into the Axiom Pro 12 S and bypass the CP470?
01-16-20, 02:35 PM
Grady330,

Q1. What if I used (1) regular Axiom 12 S and (1) Axiom Pro S? Would this allow me to avoid the HS5 Raynet switch and simply use a 5 way seatalk connector?
A1. Negative. The system has four devices (a pair of MFDs, radar, and CP470) which are designed to be interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications. Accordingly, the MFDs would need to have no less than four Ethernet communications ports among them. As Axiom MFDs only feature one Ethernet communications port, you would be short one Ethernet communications port. However, should you elect to install a pair of Axiom Pro MFDs and should the system not presently feature a HS5 RayNet Network Switch, then the RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables and Digital Radar Cable may simply be unplugged from the e9x MFDs and will instead be interfaced to the Axiom Pro MFDs.

Q2. Could I run my B265lm CHIRP transducer directly into the Axiom Pro 12 S and bypass the CP470?
A2. Yes ... however, I wouldn't recommend exercising this option. The primary advantage of an external fishfinder sounder module is that its sole function is to process analog fishfinder transducer signals. As such external sounder modules do not have additional circuitry (ex. displays, WiFi, etc.) which can be a source of signal noise which can adversely affect fishfinder performance. Typically, external fishfinder sonar modules will provide the greatest level of fishfinding performance (depth and image quality) over a MFD's internal fishfinder circuitry. Anecdotal feedback has supported the information supplied above. Accordingly, I have generally recommended that the performance offered by dedicated fishfinder sounder module (ex. RVX1000, CP370, CP470, or CP570) be chosen rather than the internal fishfinder sonar found within MFDs.
01-16-20, 03:40 PM
Grady330,

Q. Does Downvision sonar require its own transducer? A B265LM CHIRP won't allow me to utilize Downvision will it?
A. DownVision sonar imaging is exclusively supported in conjunction with a RealVision transducer (ex. T70318 RV-212 Bronze Through Hull Transducer Pack) DownVision (A80350 CPT-120 (Bronze) - DownVision Transducer) transducer. RV transducers may be mated to the RV Transducer socket of an Axiom RV MFD, Axiom Pro RVX MFD, or RVX1000 RealVision Sounder Module. DownVision transducers may be adapted to be mated to the RV Transducer socket of an Axiom RV MFD, Axiom Pro RVX MFD, or RVX1000 RealVision Sounder Module.