Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Interfacing Axiom 9 to St40-bidata and tillerpilot
01-20-20, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 10:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Interfacing Axiom 9 to St40-bidata and tillerpilot
I would like to interface my axiom 9 to three devices. First, and of highest priority, is an auxilary alarm buzzer, then to an ST40 bidata (speed-depth) and finally to my Raymarine tiller pilot. I want to be sure that these can all be connected to a Seatalkng backbone. I would also appreciate a list of parts necessary to get it up and running. Also can these be run in series from one 5-way connector?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-20, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 10:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Interfacing Axiom 9 to St40-bidata and tillerpilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Frank,

Please note that a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will need to be installed and that it will need to include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter as one of its backbone components. The referenced document and Raymarine's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 web page provide a list of Raymarine's SeaTalkng networking components. The MFD and SeaTalkNG Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer will each be interface to individual spur sockets within the backbone. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to support interfacing the ST40 Bidata and possibly the autopilot to the system. What model of tiller pilot do you own?
01-27-20, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-20 12:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,

My tiller pilot is a Raymarine ST1000+. The manual shows it connecting to a seatalk network using bare wire terminator with red (+12v dc), green (ground) and yellow (seatalk data). I have two questions here. First what is the part number of this cable (3M length) and second, does the st1000+ require a separate seatalk to seatalkng converter or can it be interfaced along with the ST40 bidata converter? There appears to be only one yellow connector on the seatalk converter.

I would also like to know what cable one uses to connect two 5-way connectors when expanding s backbone?

Thank you for your help.

Frank

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-27-20, 01:02 PM
Frank,

Your diagram is almost correct. The SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will not be connected to the ST40 instrument as your diagram illustrates. Additionally, the ST1000+ autopilot's bulkhead jack will not be connected to a spur (white) socket as your diagram illustrates.

The yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be connected the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. The other end of this SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable will be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The ST40 instrument will be connected to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end of the cable. Finally the ST1000+ autopilot's bulkhead jack will be connected to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end of the cable. One the cable's plugs will be removed to permit the SeaTalk Cable's leads to be connected to the ST1000+ autopilot's bulkhead jack. When connecting this SeaTalk cable to the ST1000+ autopilot's bulkhead jack, the SeaTalk Cable's power (red) lead will not be used and will need to be insulated to prevent shorting. The SeaTalk Cable's data (yellow) and ground (shield) leads will be connected to the ST1000+ autopilot's bulkhead jack as indicated with the ST1000+ Owner's guide.

Finally, circuit supplying power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone's power cable should be switched.
01-27-20, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-20 04:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I think I understand the use of the D244 junction box to connect both the ST40 and the ST1000 to the seatalk converter. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to splice a two pair awg wire of appropriate size into to the seatalk converter cable and run it to the ST1000+? This would save about $150.00.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "circuit supplying power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone's power cable should be switched.". Switched from where to where.

Thanks,
Frank
01-27-20, 04:43 PM
Frank,

Q1. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to splice a two pair awg wire of appropriate size into to the seatalk converter cable and run it to the ST1000+?
A1. Yes. SeaTalk cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, 9m, 20m, and 200m lengths (D230, D284, D285, D286, D287, D288, and Q018 respectively). SeaTalk busses may be created in a serial or parallel manner. SeaTalk cables may be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes.

Q2. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "circuit supplying power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone's power cable should be switched.". Switched from where to where.
A2. My statement would have been more clear if I had specified that a switch should be installed in the circuit supplying power to the backbone to permit it to be switched OFF when not in use.