Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Complete New System Setup Guidance Needed
01-26-20, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-20 05:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Complete New System Setup Guidance Needed
I have all new electronics to replace my 2005 raymarine equipment and want to arrange them split between the upper t-top electronics box and the center console face by the helm / dash. The run from the upper electronics box down to the center console dash (and inside behind dash where other modules / connections / etc install) is a through the aluminum t-top frame piping of about roughly 5 feet. I'm trying not to have too many cable runs through that as there are also electrical wires going through there and it's getting a bit tight to snake them though, but of course will do what it takes to have the best and correct setup / networking needed.
So here is what I have and how I was hoping to have it arranged. My questions pertain to if this layout is practical and how do I make all the cable / networking/ connections etc work for it if so; and if not, then what would be the best way to go with laying out all the components and their connections? Thank you for the help as it is much needed!

Upper Electronics Box of T-Top:
Axiom RV 9" MFD, RAY53 VHF, Icom IC-M506 VHF w/ AIS and NMEA 2000 & 0183, RCR-SD-USB-Card Reader, p70RS autopilot control head for EV-150.

Above that on top of the canvas t-top will be the mounting location for the GA150 gps antenna, vhf/ais antenna for the icom 506 and vhf antenna for the ray53 and the Raymarine 18" radome hd digital radar (RD418HD 4kW)

On the console dash face by the helm will be:
Axiom rv 12" MFD, RMK-10 (mainly for use with the upper 9" mfd in the t-top electronics box but also to switch and be used with the 12" in dash), and the Yamaha command link (round) 2 multi function tach gauges and 1 speedometer/fuel meter and 2 water pressure gauges for twin engine setup.

Underneath / inside console will be:
EV-150 Autopilot ACU-150 control unit, type-1 hydraulic pump, ev1 sensor core (not sure best placement on vessel for this) and the CP-370 digital sonar sounder module which will have the B260 transducer connected to it that is flush mounted thru hull in flat part of keel at aft end of the first step of a double stepped 30ft hull. Also have the Fusion marine bb300 but most likely changing out to the MS-RA670; wither way will be mounted on the dash panel

The RV-200 bronze flush mount thru hull transducer I am not sure just yet where I can practically place and still retain full best functionality out of it. My best bet is at the aft end of my keel on flat spot just before the transom if I can not fit it at the very aft end of the flat spot in the keel of the first step just behind the b260 that is flush mounted.

I do have 1 HS-5 seatalkHS network switch, 2 seatalk 5 way connectors, and all the original cabling that each of these components came with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-20, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-20 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Complete New System Setup Guidance Needed
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum SE-FL,

The equipment list sounds pretty complete and your thoughts concerning the location of the products sounds reasonable. Regarding the particulars of the installation onboard your specific boat, it may be advisable to seek the advice / assistance of Certified Raymarine Installer. This thread will be left open for other members to comment. I did however have the following comments:

- Unlike the Axiom Pro and Axiom XL MFDs, the Axiom MFDs do not feature a GPS antenna socket to accommodate a GA150 GPS Antenna. Instead, a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor will need to be installed and interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone.

- A much separation as is permissible between the EV-1 and objects producing a magnetic field (ex. ACU, hydraulic pump, speakers, etc.) should be be provided. If possible, such items (ex. hydraulic pump, speakers, etc.) should be installed in other locations onboard.

- It is generally recommend that transducers not be installed directly behind other transducers or thru-hull ... otherwise, as the vessel approaches and then operates on plane, the forward transducer may cause an aerated flow of water across the transducer installed aft. In this case it has been noted that the B260 is installed in a pocket, but still may cause aeration if it produces any turbulence as the boat is propelled through the water.

- With regard to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking, one end of the backbone should be within the electronics box and the other end would typically terminate within the console or aft, near the engines)

- The list did not include an ECI-100 or Yamaha NMEA 2000 gateway (6YG-8A2D0-00-00) or CL7 Gauge (the latter two would support use of the Yamaha app within MFDs running the latest LH3 software.
01-29-20, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-20 11:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Okay thank you for helping.
So is there any way I can use that GA150 gps antenna I have (say connected to the Ray53 or any other way?) or am I going to have to get a new gps antenna now?

Well understood on the separation of the EV-1, I have the old fluxgate in a very far away isolated from other components forward section of boat under the forward console seat center line; I think this will be an adequate location to mount the EV-1?

Understood that even though my B260 is flush mounted there is still chance of aeration issues; do you see any concern with installing the RV-200 back aft then. It would be centerline, on flat portion of keel, just forward of the transom and I would imagine actually would be deeper / less obstructed than if installing an RV-100 hanging off the transom? It also will not be along side or behind any hull penetrations / seachest / suctions etc. The only concern is that about 4 or so feet forward is the couple inch drop down of the stepped hull, but that should be far enough for the beam of transducer elements to now be effected as well as the aeration to not be an issue as again this would be basically the same as if mounted the 100 unit on a bracket hanging off the transom. Do you see anything I am missing with this arrangement?

As for the Seatalkng / NMEA200 / NMEA0183 connections I really was hoping for a bit more advice on how to go about it with my listed equipment and arrangement; I understand if you may not be able to give such advice? If that is the case I do hope some other readers of this thread wouldn't mind chiming in. Thank you.

I contacted a couple Yamaha dealers and was told to contact Raymarine to figure this one out, which unfofrtunately didnt provide muych info to go off of. I do not have the CL7 gauge, instead I have the Command link round style gauges for multi gague tachs and multi gauge fuel speed. The engines are 2005 300hp HPDI's and I have been told they may or may not be able to connect and display some data on the Axioms. The serial numbers are as follows and if they are able to display info I guess I would need either the nmea2000 gateway or ECI-100, or both?

LZ300TXR 6D1 X 1001602K 05-2005
Z300TXR 6D0 -X- 1003399K 06-2005
01-29-20, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-20 01:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
SE-FL,

Q1. So is there any way I can use that GA150 gps antenna I have (say connected to the Ray53 or any other way?) or am I going to have to get a new gps antenna now?
A1. Should the Ray53 be
- interfaced to the GA150, and
- be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone,
- and be interfaced to the GA150,
then GPS data from the Ray53 will be transmitted to the backbone for use by the system's other devices. As more than one device within the system features a GPS receiver, the system's Data Sources feature will need to be employed to specify that the Ray53 will be the system's data source for GPS, GPS Datum, and Date & Time.

Q2. I have the old fluxgate in a very far away isolated from other components forward section of boat under the forward console seat center line; I think this will be an adequate location to mount the EV-1?
A2. Should you have had good performance with previously installed fluxgate compass, then indeed, the current location of the fluxgate compass may be a good place to initially seek to install the EV-1 CCU.

Q3. Installation location for the RV-200
A3. Regarding the location for the RV-200, installing it behind the step will likely cause aeration of any type of transducer located aft of the step at some range of speeds. However, the RealVision, DownVision, and SideVision features supported by RealVision transducers are primarily intended for use when the vessel is operating at trolling / maneuvering speeds. The B260 would be the transducer of choice to support bottom tracking a higher speeds. In summary, should this be satisfactory for your needs, then your suggested location for the RV-200 would appear satisfactory.

Q4. NMEA 2000 backbone,
A4. Regarding the backbone, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will need to be installed onboard and it will need to have a sufficient number of spur sockets to accommodate interfacing the Data Master MFD, EV-1, p70RS, ACU, Ray53, ICOM VHF/AIS receiver, and engine gateway (Raymarine or Yamaha) as individual spurs to the backbone. As the MFD and very likely the ICOM VHF/AIS feature DeviceNet (F) sockets, any of the options listed at the beginning of the FAQ found here may be used to interface these products to a spur socket within a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.

As cable lengths and desired installation locations for devices and networking components will vary for each boat and possible the desires of the owner, specific cable lengths are not typically provided. Raymarine offers SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors to support interfacing products which are located within close relative proximity to one another and to permit several items to be connected to one another in one or more easily accessed location (ex. electronics box, helm station, etc.).

Q5. Engine interfacing.
A5. Only one type of engine gateway should be used. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of engine interfacing. Yamaha should been able to provide clear information concerning whether Yamaha's NMEA 2000 gateway (6YG-8A2D0-00-00) is compatible with your engines and I would recommend finding another source at Yamaha to provide such information should you desire to use the Yamaha app within LightHouse 3. Alternatively, should the engines be listed on the Yamaha tab of the ECI-100 Compatibility web page (I did see LZ300 engines listed) and have been interfaced to a Command Link or Command Link Plus, then an ECI-100 may be used to interface the engines to the Raymarine system.
01-31-20, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the info, it does help.
Here is an image of where the RV-200 will be installed in relation to the steps of hull and already installed b260; Again no seachest, suctions, thru hulls, etc near or in front of it. Seem okay?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-20, 10:56 AM
SE-FL,

There's a reason that the B260 was installed forward of the first step ... to permit operation at speeds which would prevent transducers located aft of the steps to be able to maintain bottom. While operating at slow trolling speed, the RV200 may be able to maintain bottom, but it would not be possible to indicate what speed may begin to lose bottom contact due to aeration resulting form the hulls step located forward of the transducer.