Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS data to Axiom from Standard Horizon VHF
01-31-20, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-20 11:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS data to Axiom from Standard Horizon VHF
Hi,

I have a Standard Horizon GX2200E VHF with integral GPS and AIS, and would like to view AIS information on my Axiom 9 MFD. So far my efforts have not been successful. The VHF outputs NMEA0183 using AIS sentence VDM. My boat has a Seatalk Network (ST60s) with a Raytheon branded ST to NMEA0183 bridge, 3015 - 100, issue D. The Axiom has been connected into the system using a Seatalk to Seatalkng converter 87255-1.

I have connected the VHF data output into the NMEA bridge but cannot get any AIS data on the Axiom. By experimenting, I have confirmed that GPS position data from the VHF is flowing into the Seatalk/NMEA0183 network, and is also visible on the Axiom through the ST-STng converter. However, I cannot get the AIS data.

I suspect that the issue is either that one of the converters cannot handle AIS data, or a problem with baud rates. Can you advise whether the ST-STng converter and the ST-NMEA0183 bridge can handle AIS sentence VDM? The NMEA bridge is rather elderly so may be the culprit.

The VHF outputs GPS data at 4800 but AIS data at 38400. Is this likely to be an issue for the converters or the Axiom?

The only other query - although this sounds silly - is that I cannot see whether it is necessary to change settings on the Axiom to enable viewing of AIS data. Should it appear on the chart automatically? The operating instructions manual suggests AIS data can be enabled within "layers" but my Axiom does not show an AIS option within "layers" but maybe this only appears if data is being received? I have refreshed the data inputs from the ST-STng converter several times, but no AIS data appears.

I am running software version 3-10-42 on the Axiom.

Sorry for the length of this query but hope you can help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-20, 11:30 AM
RE: [CA11] AIS data to Axiom from Standard Horizon VHF
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Spring33,

There are two incorrect assumptions which you have made in the method which you have used to interface the VHF radio to the Raymarine system

1) SeaTalk1 communications supports AIS data ... it does not.

2) Raymarine / Raytheon branded NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk data bridging devices support 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications and bridging of VDO and VDM NMEA 0183 AIS data sentences ... only 4800 BAUD communications data rate is supported by Raymarine / Raytheon branded NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk data bridging devices and VDO and VDM NMEA 0183 AIS data sentences are not bridged by these devices to SeaTalk.

Instead, it is generally recommend that an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device be used to interface such VHF radio / AIS receivers to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
02-05-20, 11:19 AM
Thanks Chuck for this information.
02-05-20, 02:56 PM
You're welcome.