Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] interference
01-31-20, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-20 11:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] interference
radio scan locks on channel 9 when dsm300 is turned on . it seems like it is the seatalk cable is the source of interference . is this possible or should I look elsewhere . thanks , jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-20, 12:54 PM
RE: [CA11] interference
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

Such interference can occur when VHF communications equipment is installed within 3' of the marine electronics or when VHF antenna cables have been bundled with power, communications, or transducer cables. Should the VHF antenna cable have been installed in this manner, then it would be recommended that it be re-routed. Should the VHF antenna cable have been installed in this manner, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing installation of RF suppression ferrites. A sufficient number of RF suppression ferrites may be installed onto the DSM's power and communications cable to suppress RF emissions from these cables. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, these ferrites should be installed as close as is permissible to the cable's plug.
02-03-20, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-20 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck , thanks for the info . i'll try the suppressors on the lines and see
if that works . thanks again . Jim
02-04-20, 08:26 AM
You're welcome.
02-25-20, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-20 12:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
chuck can i use a double end HS2 cable to join the dsm300 to the e120 ? also should the suppressors go near both the dsm and the e120 . how about the cross over if i cant use the double end cable ? should that have suppressors also ? thanks . jim
02-26-20, 12:58 PM
Jim,

Q1. Can i use a double end HS2 cable to join the dsm300 to the e120 ?
A1. Negative. The MFD and DSM will need to each be interfaced to a SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) Cable. The two cables were designed to be joined via a SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler or SeaTalkhs Network Switch.

Q2. also should the suppressors go near both the dsm and the e120 .
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The power cable of the DSM would typically have one or two suppression ferrites attach to it. These would be positioned as close as is permissible to the cable's plug.

Q3. how about the cross over if i cant use the double end cable ?
A3. See the response to Q1.

Q4. should that have suppressors also ?
A4. Negative. See the response to Q2.
02-26-20, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-20 04:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thanks for the info chuck . as soon as the weather breaks i'll give it a try. jim
02-26-20, 04:04 PM
You're welcome.