Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
autopilot bearing off after MFD software update
06-06-16, 10:58 AM
autopilot bearing off after MFD software update
I have an e7 MFD and i70 and recently updated to version 17.45. Having done that, I now find the bearing on my autopilot (ST6001+) is considerably off (does not match compass bearing) and seems to wander. I went through the user calibration procedure for the autopilot and the bearing readings are now correct, but I am wondering if there are compatibility issues between the new MFD software and the older autopilot that will cause this problem to recur.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-16, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-16 09:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: autopilot bearing off after MFD software update
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mraphael,

Heading calibration and alignment data for autopilot course computers which would have been interfaced to a ST600x Autopilot Control Head are stored within the autopilot's course computer, not within the MFD. The software updates for a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs should in no way affect these older autopilots when operating in Auto Mode, as the updates included with the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software updates are limited to the Evolution autopilots.

Given the reported symptoms, it is recommended that the autopilot course computer be disconnected from all other marine electronics devices except for the autopilot control head, fluxgate compass, rudder reference transducer, and autopilot drive actuator. The autopilot should then be tested in Auto mode. Should the problem abate, then please respond accordingly. However, should the problem persist, then then it is recommended that your autopilot's compass be re-calibrated and realigned. Should the problem persist it is possible that your autopilot's fluxgate heading sensor, gyro (if so equipped), rudder reference unit, or autopilot course computer may have experienced a failure of the circuitry responsible for sensing/processing rudder position or sensing, processing, or stabilizing heading.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Should a fault with either of these sensors be identified, then the sensor(s) should be replaced. Should no fault with these sensors be identified, then it would be recommended that the plug connecting the gyro of S1G/S2G/S3G Autopilot Course Computers be unplugged (will permit the autopilot to instead perform as a S1/S2/S3 Autopilot Course Computer) and that the system be performance tested. Should the problem persist and the autopilot course computer be S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G, then the autopilot course computer will need to be replaced, as Raymarine can no longer service these autopilot course computers. In such cases an Evolution Autopilot Control Head, Evolution ACU of appropriate rating, and Evolution Sensor Core would be recommended. Should the autopilot course computer be a SPX autopilot course computer, then it is recommended that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-11-16, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-16 02:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I went out again today and the bearing reverted to false readings again. My course computer is a Raymarine 400. What is my next step in correcting this issue?
06-13-16, 10:52 AM
My course computer is a Raymarine 400. The problem has happened again. After recalibrating on my previous outing, I returned to the boat and found the heading on the ST6000+ was off again, by about 45 degrees compared to the compass reading. Is there a diagnostic or do I need to send in for repair?
Thanks,
Martin Raphael
06-13-16, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-16 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
All,

Should the autopilot's compass alignment be off following execution of linearization circles and alignment, and should the maximum detected deviation be less than 10 degrees, then it is recommended that the autopilot's fluxgate compass be tested per the information found here. Should the fluxgate test identify a fault with the fluxgate, then it will need to be replaced. Should the fluxgate test not identify a fault with the fluxgate, then it would indicate a failure within the autopilot course computer. Should the fluxgate be interfaced to an SPX Series Autopilot Course Computer, then the autopilot course computer should be bench checked/serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center. Should the fluxgate be interfaced to an autopilot course computer other than an SPX Series Autopilot Course Computer, then the autopilot control head, course computer, and fluxgate compass will need to be replaced with the corresponding Evolution autopilot components as Raymarine can no longer service autopilot course computer designs introduced prior to the SPX Series Autopilot Course Computers.