Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Type 100/300, EV1, STng
02-05-20, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-20 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Type 100/300, EV1, STng
Hello there,

I’ve got onboard our 44’ Oceanis, a type 2 linear drive, a Ratheon type 100/300, and a P70.

I’ve recently upgraded with a stng network, ais, radar, axiom mfd...

Would it be possible to connect the Course Computer to the stng network (using actisense converter i suppose)
And then getting rid of the fluxgate, by adding the Ev1 onto the network?

Another question, if I can link my old course computer to my network, will it pick up the wind info to be able to use the windvane mode?

Thanks a lot.

Oliver.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-20, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-20 04:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Type 100/300, EV1, STng
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Oliver,

Q1. Would it be possible to connect the Course Computer to the stng network (using actisense converter i suppose)
A1. As the Type 100/300 course computers are not supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, the only way to get navigational and wind data to the course computer would indeed be via NMEA 0183 communications. Typically, an Actisense NGW-1-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge would be recommended for this purpose.

Q2. And then getting rid of the fluxgate, by adding the Ev1 onto the network?
A2. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be an option for two reasons:
- according to the Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer's Owner's Manual, the NMEA 0183 input port of this autopilot course computer is not designed to accept heading data from a NMEA 0183 source.
- were it possible, an EV-1 CCU would not be recommended as you would essentially be adding a second autopilot to the system. If seeking a fully STng/N2K solution, the Type 100/300 course computer, fluxgate and controls should be replaced with an EV-1 CCU, ACU400, and optional p70S control head (recommended).

Q3. If I can link my old course computer to my network, will it pick up the wind info to be able to use the windvane mode?
A3. The answer to this question is dependent upon the model of wind instrument (unspecified) which is currently installed onboard ... which in turn indicates details of its communications interface(s).
02-06-20, 03:13 PM
Hello Chuck and thank you very much for your reply.

I have onboard an i60 wind display which I will connect to my STng network.
So if I understand well, I can positively get an Actisense device to connect my type 300 to my network, which then will be able to receive wind data to use the wind vane mode with the P70s?

As for question 2, I’ll get a gyro somehow to increase the performance of my autopilot!

As of today I have a new question, let me know if I should transfer it to a new thread to help other users better;

I wanted to calibrate the autopilot, but the P70s won’t let me go further than the « Autopilot Calibration » page. I cannot sélect any of the three options (User Cal., Dealer Cal., Sea Trial)
Do you have any hint?
(Also I read on the forum that the P70s isn’t supposed to work with the type 300 (which it does for me), would that be the reason why I can’t calibrate?)

Thanks again and cheers from the Caribbean.

Olivier
02-06-20, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-20 04:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Olivier,

Q1. So if I understand well, I can positively get an Actisense device to connect my type 300 to my network, which then will be able to receive wind data to use the wind vane mode?
A1. As specified within the Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer's Owner's Manual, the Type 100/300 course computer is designed to receiver wind data via its NMEA 0183 communications interface and would therefore support any wind related features specified within the Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer's Owner's Manual when interfaced to a NMEA 0183 source of wind data ... such as that which would be provided by a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device.

Q2. with the P70s? I wanted to calibrate the autopilot, but the P70s won’t let me go further than the « Autopilot Calibration » page. I cannot sélect any of the three options (User Cal., Dealer Cal., Sea Trial)
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the list of autopilot course computers which are supported for use with the p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control heads. Please note that the Type 100/300 autopilot course computers is not among the list of supported course computers and that this is quite possibly why you are experiencing issues accessing the options listed.
02-06-20, 09:15 PM
Thanks so much, all is very clear now. I will buy an actisense data bridge and find an old st control head to calibrate the cc.
In addition I’ll try to add a gyro to improve everything.
Cheers
Olivier
02-07-20, 08:53 AM
Olivier,

You're welcome. Locating an operational gyro these days may be a challenge for this long retired autopilot course computer. I recommend that caution be exercised in new purchases for the Type 100/300 autopilot computers because parts are have not been available for these course computers in some time and Raymarine can no longer service the Type 100/300 autopilot course computer or the gyros which they may have been interfaced to.