Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] Higher volume on external passive speaker than on internal speaker
02-11-20, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-20 11:33 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] Higher volume on external passive speaker than on internal speaker
Our Ray 54E VHF is located by the nav station in the cabin. We are planning a longer voyage, including two ocean passages.

I want to add an external VHF speaker in the cockpit. This is quite straightforward and I have read in the manual that when an external speaker is connected with the 3.5 jack both the internal and external speaker will be enabled.

During night sailing I want the person on watch (in the cockpit) to clearly hear the VHF even if there is bad weather or the engine is running. At the same time I don’t want everyone woken up just because someone is sending something on the VHF because the volume on the internal speaker is too high.

Have anyone solved how they can get higher volume on the external passive speaker than the volume on the internal speaker?

If I wanted a lower volume on the external speaker there are several options like volume controls on the speaker cable that I could add. But in this case I want to have higher volume on the external speaker than on the internal speaker.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-20, 11:53 AM
RE: [LW11] Higher volume on external passive speaker than on internal speaker
Dear JonasE,

Thank you for your post. The internal and external passive speakers are both control universally by the main volume control. We do not offer an option on the VHF model for independent speaker volume control.

On ocean crossings I tend to have a handheld VHF with me in the cockpit, to allow for resting crew members down below.

Many Thanks
Louise
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply