Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Power Cosumption Opinion (element 7 vs 9)??
03-29-20, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 08:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Power Cosumption Opinion (element 7 vs 9)??
To Raymarine, I am set on upgrading my electronics and currently have, stand alone A65 (2007) and stand alone Furuno radar (rarely used). I am going w the Element 7 or 9hv....and see the power used is rated at 15 watts vs 20 watts.....now, my battery system is dialed in......2 separate banks, 1 start batt set up and the House is 2 6volts in parallel...New AGM's installed recently.....Main ? is: will I notice a big difference between going w the 7 or 9 element in power consumption ????? I fish in Ocean exclusively on the west coast.....thx for you help
Capt JT
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-20, 08:33 AM
RE: [CA11] Power Cosumption Opinion (element 7 vs 9)??
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JT,

Q1. House is 2 6volts in parallel
A1. Please note that when the 6V batteries are installed in parallel as stated, more amps would be available to the system. However, the circuit voltage would remain at 6V rather than 12V. To support a 12V system, the 6V batteries would need to be installed in series.

Q2. I am going w the Element 7 or 9hv....and see the power used is rated at 15 watts vs 20 watts.....now.
A2. As you have stated, rated power consumption for the Element 7, 9, and 12 is 15W, 20W, and 25W respectively. The power consumption of the a67 MFD was 12.2W. When determining the equipment operating time on batteries, it is the amp hour rating of the batteries, rate of discharge, and the type of batteries which must be considered. For lead-acid batteries, the usable capacity is generally considered to be 30-50% of the rated capacity. The lower number represents a high rate of discharge. Accordingly, should a batter be rated for 600ah, then 30% of this value would yield 180ah of usable capacity.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply