Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] i70 depth erratic from ITC-5
02-16-20, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-20 03:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] i70 depth erratic from ITC-5
Hello Chuck,

Per the diagram attached, any suggestions as to why the depth indication on the i70 would stay at 2.2 feet?... and every once in a while display the correct depth (as compared to the depth shown on the Axiom) which is coming from the B744 which is connected to the Axiom 9 mounted below?

The P79 is feeding the ITC-5 converter which I am guessing is where the i70 is getting its depth from...

Thanks,,,Jeff

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.pdf  Visio-Indigo Star 8.pdf (Size: 27.68 KB / Downloads: 186)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-20, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-20 04:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] i70 depth erratic from ITC-5
Jeff,

When systems feature more than one source of Depth, the Data Sources feature of one of the system's devices should be used manually specify which source of depth data will be displayed within the system's devices. I generally recommend that this setting be configured within the system's i70/i70S if so equipped. The Depth overlay within a Fishfinder pane will always display the depth calculated by the Fishfinder sonar channel. It is recommended that the P79 transducer be removed from its reservoir to verify that it is filled with fluid. Finally, in-hull transducers are not suited to all hulls, careful attention must be paid, particularly with regard to instruments driving such transducers, that the hull thickness and makeup (i.e. must be solid fiberglass). While Raymarine does not specify a maximum hull thickness for the instrument version of the P79 transducer, the version for fishfinders (which outputs almost 10x more power) requires that the hull be no thicker than 5/8" in the installation location. Should the hull potentially be a factor, then the transducer may be tested by suspending it over the side of the hull.
03-02-20, 07:20 PM
I checked the fluid in the P79, it had some fluid in there but I removed it and applied 2.4 oz. of fresh glycol fluid as the instructions specify...this didn't correct the issue...the depth seemed to go back to 2.2 feet every 10 seconds or so..

I did, while underway, try to adjust settings on the B744 transducer thinking it may be interfering. no effect.

I was wondering, since this data is going to the ITC-5, maybe it is suspect?

Think I can install a ST60 depth and wire the P79 directly to it and use that as a tool to diagnose?
03-03-20, 03:39 PM
Jeff,

Q1. I did, while underway, try to adjust settings on the B744 transducer thinking it may be interfering. no effect.
A1. The frequency used by the analog instrument version of the P79 is 200kHz. Accordingly, the Fishfinder application must be configured to not ping the 200kHz frequency or interference with p79 will occur. Accordingly, it would be recommended that this problem be further fault isolated by testing the instrument depth performance after disabling pings from the Fishfinder transducer.

Q. Think I can install a ST60 depth and wire the P79 directly to it and use that as a tool to diagnose?
A. This is indeed a valid way of fault isolating the problem.
03-22-20, 09:50 PM
Hello Chuck,

So I replaced the ITC-5 this weekend and the erratic depth is no longer an issue, meaning depth no longer cycled from the actual depth to 2.1 ft every 10-15 seconds...so thats good

My goal was to have 2 independent view-able source of depth, one being the P79, via the ITC displayed, on the i70 multi display instruments, and the other source, from B744v (networked from the axiom 9 at the lower helm) being shown on the Axiom 12....

However I noticed whenever i changed the depth source (as changed from the source page on the fly bridge Axiom 12), both i70 multi displays also changed...I would like them to display the ITC-5/P79 depth...

Question...

How can I force the Axiom 12 to display the B744v depth and the i70 multi displays show the depth from the P79/ITC?...or is this not possible..

Thanks....

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Visio-Indigo Star 11.pdf (Size: 28.03 KB / Downloads: 173)
03-23-20, 07:40 AM
Jeff,

Q. How can I force the Axiom 12 to display the B744v depth and the i70 multi displays show the depth from the P79/ITC?...or is this not possible..
A. The Depth data overlay within the Sonar application will always reflect the depth calculated from the fishfinder sonar Channel which which the Fishfinder application has been configured to display sonar imaging from. All other Depth data items displayed throughout the system will utilize the Depth data source which has been selected by any of the system's MFDs, i70/i70S MFIDs, or p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control head. A Data Source selection by any of these devices will affect data source to be utilized by every device within the system.
03-23-20, 08:49 PM
OK, so if I want to have 2 independent depth displays, I would need to dedicated something simple/small like an i40 depth display that would be directly wired to the P79 and the other i70 displays etc would be the BV744....

by the way, for whatever reason I am no longer receiving emails indicating that this thread has been replied to...even though I check that box..
03-24-20, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-20 09:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jeff,

Q1. if I want to have 2 independent depth displays, I would need to dedicated something simple/small like an i40 depth display that would be directly wired to the P79 and the other i70 displays etc would be the BV744....
A. Almost correct. In short a non-networked depth instrument may be used to support the second simultaneously operating depth source. That said, it would be recommended that an i50 Depth be used, as the i40 instruments do not output sufficient power for use with P79 transducer.

I'll check with the Forum's coder to verify whether there are any issues with e-mail transmissions from the Forum.
03-27-20, 11:30 AM
Chuck, I meant to say I was thinking of using an older style ST40 Depth display wired directly to the P79, not i40. sorry

IS that one ok?
03-27-20, 01:34 PM
Jeff,

Q. I meant to say I was thinking of using an older style ST40 Depth display wired directly to the P79, not i40. Is that OK?
A. Negative. The i40 instruments are essentially restyled variants of the ST40 instruments. The P79 Transducer is not recommended for use with either ST40 instruments or i40 instruments.