Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replacing an E80 Classic with an Axiom 9
02-19-20, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-20 01:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sad [CA11] Replacing an E80 Classic with an Axiom 9
My E80 Classic has died and I am wanting to replace it with an Axiom 9. The E80 and associated components were installed in a Hunter 30 Sailboat when I bought it and I’m trying to ring out the wiring.
Currently the system consists or an E80 MFD, ST6 Sirius Reciever, AIS 650 Transceiver, RS125 GPS Reciever, Raymarine HD Digital Radome, ST70 Instrument for depth/wind, ST70 Autopilot Controller, XP-5 Smart Pilot, RAY 218 Radio and Raymarine Lifetag.

I understand the SR6 is not compatible. What other components in the existing system will have to be upgraded?

What networking changes will be required to interface the existing components to SeatalkNG?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-20, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-20 11:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replacing an E80 Classic with an Axiom 9
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Barry,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As you have suggested and as is indicated within the referenced FAQ, the SR6 would need to be replaced with a SR200 to utilize SiriusXM Satellite Wx features within the Axiom MFD. Before removing the E-Series Classic MFD from the system, it is recommended that it be used to update the software within the ST70 and SPX autopilot components ... Axiom MFDs cannot update the software within these products. The AIS650, ST70 products, and SPX autopilot components should each be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The backbone will need to include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The Raystar 125 GPS sensor will be interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The backbone will need to include a spur socket to permit the Axiom MFD's NMEA 2000 port to be interfaced to the spur socket. Any one of the following means may be used to adapt the MFD's NMEA 2000 port to be mated to a spur socket within a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable

As indicated within the referenced FAQ, the Ray218 may be interfaced to the backbone via an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge. LifeTag is not supported for use with Axiom MFDs.
03-02-20, 10:22 AM
Chuck,
Thanks for the help. I've dug into the wiring on the existing system and found the AIS650 and VHF are connected to the E80 via the the NEMA 0183 connection. The ST70 Pilot, SPX, St70 Instrument and Airmar Multisensor are all connect to the E80 via SeatalkNG. The Digital radar is is connected to the SR6 which in turn conncets to the E80 via SeatalkHS.

I plan to abandon the NEMA 0183 circuit and connect the AIS as a spur on the backbone. That leaves the SR200 and radar. How should these two devices be connected? Is there an adapter or will I need a switch?

Barry Brookshire
03-02-20, 11:06 AM
Barry,

Q1. I plan to abandon the NEMA 0183 circuit and connect the AIS as a spur on the backbone.
A1. This is indeed recommended.

Q2. That leaves the SR200 and radar. How should these two devices be connected? Is there an adapter or will I need a switch?
A2. The SR6 should be removed from the system and replaced with an A80007 HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Digital Radar Cable will be adapted (part #A80247) to be mated to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. It is recommended that the SR200 and Axiom MFD each be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

As Raymarine no longer produces Sirius/SiriusXM Satellite Wx / Radio Receivers which are compatible the three generation of MFDs which preceded the Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs, there continues to be demand for SR100 and SR6. It would be recommended that you consider privately selling the legacy Sirius Wx / Radio Receiver (ex. via Ebay, Craigs List, etc.) if seeking to offset some of the upgrade cost.
03-03-20, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the head’s up on the SR6.

So I can’t interface the SR200 and Radar directly to the backbone without an Ethernet switch?
03-03-20, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-20 03:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Barry,

Q. So I can’t interface the SR200 and Radar directly to the backbone without an Ethernet switch?
A. It is not possible to do as you have suggested. The SR200 and currently produced radar transducer are designed to support Ethernet communications. Such devices cannot be adapted to be mated to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As the Axiom MFD features a single Ethernet Network socket (RayNet) and more than device having an Ethernet communications interface will need to be connected to the MFD, an Ethernet switch (i.e. HS5 RayNet Network Switch) will be required.
04-13-20, 04:05 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for all you hello. I have everything up and communicating. My only issue is with the Autopilot function on the Axiom. I can see the ST70 and X5 Pilot in the network list but when I go the activate the function on the Axiom the button is greyed out and not selectable.
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Barry
04-13-20, 04:51 PM
Barry,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.