Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replace e80 and e120 with Element Series
02-28-20, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replace e80 and e120 with Element Series
I would like to replace an E80 and E120 multifunction display on our boat with the element multifunction display series. The only NMEA 0183 networks are the autopilot and the AIS 650. The boat has a RD424 rdar connected to the network switch. What would the network interface cables look like, and what adaptors are required? Are the Element series compatible with he RD424 and the Ryamarine ethernet switch? How difficult a swap out would this be? Thanks all. Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-20, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 04:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replace e80 and e120 with Element Series
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum olesenrl,

Unlike MFDs, Element displays lack an Ethernet communications interface, prohibiting them from sharing cartography, radar, fishfinder, and SiriusXM weather resources, as well as waypoint, route, and track data with other Element displays. Should sharing of these resources and data be desired for the new system, then it would be recommended that Axiom and/or Axiom Pro S MFDs be considered rather than Element displays. Should the currently installed radome's radar cable be connected to a network switch, then the radome would be a RD424D or RD424HD radome rather than a RD424 radome. The RD424 radome utilized a radar cable which could only be connect to the RADAR socket or one of the E-Series Classic MFDs. E-Series Classic MFDs were the last generation of MFDs which were compatible with the RD424 radome. While the RD424D and RD424HD radomes are compatible with Raymarine's last four generations of MFDs featuring and Ethernet communications interface (including Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL), they are not compatible with Element displays because these displays lack an Ethernet communications interface. As such, only Quantum and Quantum 2 radomes are compatible with Element displays. Communications between the Element displays and Quantum / Quantum 2 radomes may only be accomplished via WiFi communications.

Element displays do not have a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Instead, Element displays have a NMEA 2000 communications interface which would permit them to be interfaced to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The Element Display and AIS650 may each be interfaced as individual spurs to this backbone. A NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 gateway (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) may be used to interface devices having a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications interface to the backbone.
03-01-20, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-20 02:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the explanation. So if I understand correctly I can replace the MFD's with Axiom MFD's connected through the switch? Please confirm. Thank you so much.
03-02-20, 08:55 AM
olesenrl,

Q. So if I understand correctly I can replace the MFD's with Axiom MFD's connected through the switch?
A. Yes. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of E-Series Classic MFDs with Axiom MFDs. Please note the section regarding NMEA 0183.