Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
06-26-17, 01:14 PM
RE: Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
Hi Chuck,
I want to support GPS to my VHF radio by adding a SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158) to my devicenet backbone using a Sealtalkng backbone cable to a Maretron devicenet connector. Would the SeaTalking Converter's power connection also be able to power the devicenet backbone? just looking to free up a devicenet T connector.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-17, 01:52 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cbt716,

Q. I want to support GPS to my VHF radio by adding a SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158) to my devicenet backbone using a Sealtalkng backbone cable to a Maretron devicenet connector. Would the SeaTalking Converter's power connection also be able to power the devicenet backbone?

A. Yes
06-27-17, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-17 02:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks!
06-27-17, 02:02 PM
You're welcome.
09-03-17, 07:42 AM
Sorry if this duplicates my post, but my computer screen blanked out and I'm not sure if it posted.....

My question is similar I think:

I have the ST4000+ currently interfaced to a ST50+ wind and ST50+ Tridata through one of its sealtalk ports. Also, I have its fluxgate compass connected. I want to add a third party (garmin gpsmap 942xs) NMEA 2000 MFD to provide GPS tracking.

I think I need the Raymarine seatalk to seatalkng converter kit (linking to the unused second seatalk port on the autohelm) and a seatalkng to NMEA 2000 converter cable to put the MFD into the converter.

First is this correct? Will the autohelm talke course tracking info over its seatalk interface?

Secondly, should the fluxgate compass be disconnected from the auto-helm?

Third, are there any other considerations to make this all work?

Thanks!
09-06-17, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JDGALE0070,

Q1. I think I need the Raymarine seatalk to seatalkng converter kit (linking to the unused second seatalk port on the autohelm) and a seatalkng to NMEA 2000 converter cable to put the MFD into the converter. Is this correct?
A1. This is partly correct. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be required and it will be necessary to interface the third party device to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone which comprises the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. However, it is recommended that a single unpowered SeaTalk bus be created (as long it it is not comprised of more than five SeaTalk devices) and that the bus be connected to the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. This would necessitate ensure that the SeaTalk power pin(red) of the ST4000+ is not connected to the SeaTalk bus (ex. cut the ST4000+'s SeaTalk cable then only splice its yellow and shield leads back together, leaving its red leads not spliced).

Q2. Will the autohelm talke course tracking info over its seatalk interface?
A2. Yes

Q3. Should the fluxgate compass be disconnected from the auto-helm?
A3. No.

Q4. Are there any other considerations to make this all work?
A4. Ask your dealer to ensure that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter purchased has been updated with the latest SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software update before shipping the product or leaving the store.
06-07-20, 10:13 PM
I have just completed the installation of the seatalk converter.
My system appears to be working correctly but to be sure can you tell from this description if I have made any serious mistakes?
Starting with the ST 60 side
Power is supplied to the 4000 series autopilot at the beginning of the daisy chain, then ST 60 multi to Wind to Tridata, all ST 60 series. Then to converter Seatalk input and out the Backbone to a Ancor 4-way NMEA connecter backbone via the field installed Micro-C plug. That NMEA 2000 network feeds a B&G Vulcan 7R, a connected AIS transponder, and an Actisense 2000 to 0183 converter for position data to my DSC radios, Sideband and VHF.
Eventually I plan to add in a radome...
A lot of mixed in brands but now all seem to be talking to each other.
I would appreciate you critique, I just wish I had bought your NG converter several years ago.
Thanks in advance, Ken on Sail Away 3
06-08-20, 11:31 PM
Hello Ken,

That's a nice bit of component knitting and congratulations on making it all work. I don't believe there is anything to critique if it's all working as expected.

Both thumbs up!

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules
06-09-20, 10:33 AM
Building on this thread of connecting original SeaTalk (SeaTalk1) devices to NMEA 2000:

My boat has a collection of devices with SeaTalk interfaces, all joined in a SeaTalk junction box. This includes an RL80C plotter, 150G auto pilot course computer, an RN300 GPS and RS125 GPS antenna (already spliced together before going to the junction box), and an ST60 TriData. The depth and speed sensors connect to the ST60 directly. This all works well.

Over the winter, I added an Axiom 12 to the helm, with a NMEA 2000 network that connects to an AIS transponder. There's presently no connection between those devices and the older SeaTalk devices. Unfortunately, this means I don't get boat depth showing on my plotter. I'd like to fix that.

The ST60 has a open SeaTalk port on it.

Q1) Can I use a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng cable to connect to the yellow port on the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter in the E22158 (SeaTalk1 to Seatalkng Converter Kit)?

If so, I'm curious how I connect the converter to my NMEA2000 network.

Q2) Do I use the blue ports to connect to the N2K backbone or do they connect as a drop on a NMEA2000 "T"?

Q3) Finally, will I need to power the ST1 to STng converter even though it's connecting to a powered N2K network?

I'm trying to attach or insert a drawing of what I'm envisioning, but I don't think the forum is doing that...

Thanks,
Steve

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

-Steve

2003 Sea Ray 400DB
06-15-20, 09:15 AM
Hi Steve,

Can you provide a drawing of the NMEA2000 buss?

Chris,