Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Adding AIS to Axiom
03-04-20, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-20 11:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Adding AIS to Axiom
Looking to add an AIS650 or AIS700. How is the AIS data displayed on the Axiom. I do not have radar, but would the AIS still use the radar app?

Attached is a schematic diagram of what I have so far, the wind instrument/iTC5 is not yet installed every else is working well.

Thanks
Kirk

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Planned Network Arrangement as at Mar 2.pdf (Size: 598.04 KB / Downloads: 236)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-20, 11:46 AM
RE: [CA11] Adding AIS to Axiom
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Kirk,

Q1. How is the AIS data displayed on the Axiom. I do not have radar, but would the AIS still use the radar app?
A1. AIS targets may not be displayed within the Radar app unless the system has been a) interfaced to a compatible radar transducer, and b) the system has been interfaced to a source of heading data, and c) the system is receiving a GPS position FIX. AIS targets may be displayed within the Chart application, irrespective of whether the system has been interfaced to a compatible radar transducer. More information concerning this subject may be found within Chapter 8.7 Collision avoidance of the LightHouse 3.11 Advanced Operation Instructions.

Q2. The diagram is functionally correct. However, the current installation has a weakness in that no pilot will be reported if the autopilot course computer is not switched ON with the rest of the system. As indicated within the FAQ found here, it would be considered a best installation practice to dedicate one of the legacy autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports to provide power and communications to vessel's control heads and wireless remote. The other SeaTalk port would then be used to connect the legacy autopilot course computer and unpowered SeaTalk cable to the ST60 instruments, which in turn would be interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The ST60 instruments will be powered by the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
03-06-20, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-20 10:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, I'll take a look at the changes you suggest. I do have a habit of flipping on all 3 switches (including the course computer) when I get on board. If I don't then I certainly do get the "no pilot" message on the ST6001+.

Also, I now keep the 3.11 Advanced Operating Inst's close at hand to continue educating myself on very wide-ranging applications the Axiom can handle.

Kirk
03-06-20, 10:53 AM
You're welcome.