Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] GA165 and Axiom 9 together
03-29-20, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-20 03:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] GA165 and Axiom 9 together
So I’ve read here these two can only play together if the GS165 is upgraded to Lighthouse 3. This leaves me with two questions:

1. I assume this upgrade is different from just checking for updates via Wi-Fi? I did this and the GS165 upgraded to 19.03. I downloaded Lighthouse 3 to an SD card (tried in both slots) and chose “check card for updates” and it replied no update found.

2. After connecting to two MFDs and realizing they don’t play well together, the GS165 is stuck in “waiting for master data display” and the “option” to choose “this display” as master just takes me back in a circle to “waiting for master data display. I’ve restarted, power cycled, unplugged every device from it and it’s stuck in that cycle.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-20, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] GA165 and Axiom 9 together
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum safeandsoundinc,

Q1. I assume this upgrade is different from just checking for updates via Wi-Fi? I did this and the GS165 upgraded to 19.03. I downloaded Lighthouse 3 to an SD card (tried in both slots) and chose “check card for updates” and it replied no update found.
A1. Until both MFDs have been updated to be operating with LH3 v3.11.42 software, the gS-Series MFD and Axiom MFD should not be simultaneously operating within the same Ethernet network. Please additionally note that the highest version of LH3 software which will be released for eS/gS-Series MFDs will be v3.11.42. Accordingly, the Axiom MFD should not be updated beyond v3.11.42 as long as an eS/gS-Series MFD remains in the network. Following that, the most common cause for a failure to update an eS/gS-Series MFD with LH3 software is incorrectly populating the software update memory card(s). More specifically, the instructions call for copying the raymarine_atom-3.11.42.upgrade.iso file to the root of one microSD memory card and to copy the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file to the root of another microSD memory card. I generally recommend that the raymarine_atom-3.11.42.upgrade.iso file be installed first and that the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file be installed after having successfully installing the raymarine_atom-3.11.42.upgrade.iso file.

Q2. After connecting to two MFDs and realizing they don’t play well together, the GS165 is stuck in “waiting for master data display” and the “option” to choose “this display” as master just takes me back in a circle to “waiting for master data display. I’ve restarted, power cycled, unplugged every device from it and it’s stuck in that cycle.
A2. After disconnecting the gS165 MFD from the system's Ethernet network, then the MFD may continue to seek the Data Master ... choose the option to configure it temporarily as the Data Master until the MFD's software has been successfully updated. Should the problem persist and prevent the MFD's software from being updated, then it would be recommended that a Power ON Reset be performed to the gS-Series MFD.
Find all posts by this user
03-31-20, 08:59 AM
I was finally able to get the GS165 out of that loop. Can I get those upgrade instructions for both? The more detail the better. I've scoured the upgrade page and don't see anything about separate SD cards, etc. Thanks
03-31-20, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-20 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
safeandsoundinc,

The instructions which I had been referring to are embedded within the name of the text file shown within name of the text file shown within the File Explorer screen image below. Therein it clearly states to copy the .iso files to separate cards. Ensure that the capacity of the microSD memory card being used does not exceed that maximum capacity which is supported by your MFD (32GB).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4329]

As indicated within my initial response, I generally recommend that the raymarine_atom-3.11.42.upgrade.iso file be installed first and that the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file be installed after successfully installing the raymarine_atom-3.11.42.upgrade.iso file. Should the MFD not automatically sense a microSD memory card containing software update files, then use the Check Card For Updates feature to command the MFD to do so.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-06-20, 07:16 AM
Was about to give up and write back to explain how it didn't work, then I decided to transfer from the 128gb card I was using (to which it replied "no updates found") onto a 16gb card it it worked immediately. It would not take the second cartography file though. It only asks about upgrading the 3.11.42 file and "check card for updates" doesn't seem to be an option in LH3. Everything does seem to work fine, is the file necessary? What's it do?
04-06-20, 08:11 AM
safeandsoundinc,

Q1. I decided to transfer from the 128gb card I was using (to which it replied "no updates found") onto a 16gb card it it worked immediately.
A1. The a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs are only compatible with microSD memory card having capacities of less than or equal to 32GB. Hence, using a microSD memory card would have indeed been necessary.

Q2. It would not take the second cartography file though. It only asks about upgrading the 3.11.42 file and "check card for updates" doesn't seem to be an option in LH3.
A2. This is normal. The cartography software update identifies itself as a LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 software update ... choose to update the MFD's software when this option is presented after having inserted the microSD memory card containing the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file.