Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading Sensor Error After Software Upgrade
06-20-16, 08:30 AM
Heading Sensor Error After Software Upgrade
I updated the software on my GS165, then P70R, ACU and EVO2. I completed the MFD updates (17.45), as well the related A/P Updates. I also completed a recalibration of the A/P. Now, the Heading Sensor initially retains the adjustment for about five minutes, but then goes askew to being off by 40 deg. I have reset this several times with the same outcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-16, 12:14 PM
RE: Heading Sensor Error After Software Upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum aurora37,

It is recommended that you check current version of the EV-1 Sensor Core, ACU, and p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head to ensure that each has been updated with the latest software, as such performance issues may occur if one or more of these components was not successfully updated.

As indicated within the software update web pages for the Evolution autopilot components and a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, it is necessary re-calibrate the autopilot following installation. As the Evolution autopilots are quite easy to configure, I personally recommend that a Factory Reset be commanded to the autopilot (via the control head), that the Dockside Wizard then be executed, followed by a cruise to establish the sensed deviation be performed. Should the maximum sensed deviation be more then 10 degrees, then it is recommended that the area around the EV-1 Sensor Core be inspected to ensure that:
- no ferrous materials (engine block, tools, tin cans, etc.) are located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core
- no products featuring magnetic components (ex. electric motors, pumps, speakers, etc.) are located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core
- no high current carrying conductors are located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core

Should the EV-1 Sensor Core not be located within 3' of the above listed items and the EV-1 not yield a maximum sensed deviation greater than 10 degrees, and the problem persists, then it is recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be bench tested/serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center. Should the EV-1 Sensor Core not be located within 3' of the above listed items and the EV-1 yield a maximum sensed deviation greater than 10 degrees, then it is recommended that the EV-1 be temporarily mounted above decks in a location well away from the items listed above. Should the sensed deviation fall below 10 degrees in the test location, then it is recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core's prior installation location and the area at least 4' surrounding be inspected for items capable of producing magnetic fields and either relocate any such items or seek another location for the EV-1 Sensor Core. Should the sensed deviation remain high in the test location, then it is recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be bench tested/serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.
06-20-16, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-16 01:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The Diagnostics page on the MFD (GS165) shows all devices with the current software. The heading sensor in its current location worked fine for one year prior to the software update. The a/p head unit (p70r) displays 'detecting magnets', even after recalibration and dockside setup
06-20-16, 02:11 PM
aurora37,

The autopilot control head software's message Detecting Magnetics is meant to be a visual indication to the operator that the autopilot system has not yet been able to determine the deviation field sensed by the EV-1/2 Sensor Core. The deviation field is determined by the autopilot by taking the autopilot for a relatively short cruise per the information found here. Until completion of detecting deviation, the autopilot control head will display a progress bar with red or green indicator to aid the operator in identifying whether the vessel's speed and rate of turn (slower is better) is appropriate for detecting sensed deviation.