Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P70 compatibility with 150/400 course computer
06-23-16, 08:28 PM
P70 compatibility with 150/400 course computer
y primary question is about compatibility of the P70 control head with my rather old 150/400 course computer. The rest of the devices are all operating fine - C70 chartplotter, radar, TriData, ST60 Wind - and I would like to keep them in place.

My ST6001 control unit displays "STLK FAIL" consistently, and has since the day it arrived in Seattle from it's previous home in Florida. The unit worked fine during sea trials, and 3,000 miles on a truck probably jiggled something loose. (Yes, I've tried re-seating all the cables, etc.)

I have tried isolating the ST6001 control head from the rest of the SeaTalk network; also just to the course computer, to no avail. As far as I can tell, when I have the course computer on the network, but without the control head, the other components continue to operate, so this leads me to believe the course computer is probably ok, and the control head is the bad device.

And repair doesn't seem all that practical on a device that old (unless I'm missing something?)

So I am considering replacing the ST6001 with a P70 as a "drop-in" replacement, using SeaTalk 1 (not SeaTalkng). And the main question is whether the P70 is compatible with my course computer. I've attached some photos to help identify it.

Oh, and I would also like to upgrade the 150/400 with a gyro sensor, which the P70 will handle.

Secondary questions are: Do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting? Or alternative suggestions for addressing this problem?

Thanks,

Erik
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-16, 08:31 AM
RE: P70 compatibility with 150/400 course computer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Erik,

The SeaTalk failure may be rooted in the ST6001 or the autopilot course computer itself. The SeaTalk circuitry of the ST6001 may be tested by interfacing it to power alone. To do so, the ST6001 will be disconnected from all other devices. A SeaTalk Cable's red lead will be connected to +12VDC and its shield lead to -12VDC. This same SeaTalk cable's yellow lead will not be connected to anything. This cable will then be plugged into the ST6001. Should the ST6001's display report "STLK FAIL", then it will need to be replaced, as Raymarine can no longer service ST6001 Autopilot Control Heads. The p70 / p70R Autopilot Control Heads may be used as a replacement for the ST6001 Autopilot Control Heads.
06-25-16, 01:08 AM
Thanks for quick reply, and for the suggestion on testing the ST6001. I'll give that a try.
06-26-16, 11:19 PM
Chuck,

I tested my ST6001 as you suggested, and it first displayed its name (ST6001), then displayed "NO PILOT" for a few seconds, then displayed "STLK FAIL". There was no data connection (yellow wire) to the device. I will proceed with a P70 replacement.

Thanks for your advice.
06-27-16, 09:03 AM
You're welcome.