Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSC Issues
06-25-16, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-16 08:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DSC Issues
Hello,

I just installed a Ray 260 AIS, Software Version 2.03

It seems that only half the DSC functions work...and some that do don't seem to work right.

What works,

Position Requests sent to the 260 from anther station seem to work fine.

Position Request sent from the 260 to anther station seem to work fine, although the DSC Category is SAFETY...I would have expected routine.

What doesn't,

Positions Reports sent to the 260 are not received, the radio does nothing. It seems the 260 must request positions first?

Position Reports don't seem to be able to be sent from the 260...they have to be requested from another radio.

Is there an update planned to enable full DSC functions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-16, 08:43 AM
RE: DSC Issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum 480CEs,

In DSC communications, the transmitting station must be configured to transmit to the receiving station's MMSI. The design of the Ray260 does not include display DSC position reports on the Ray260's handset. The design of the Ray260 VHF radio assumes that it will be interfaced to a MFD, chartplotter, etc., where received DSC position reports may be displayed and automatically plotted.
07-06-16, 02:51 PM
Hi Chuck,

The 260 is on a network with e-series and a-series plotters.

Can you try sending a position report from another radio (I've tested with Standard Horizon Fixed and Handhelds as well as ICOM fixed units). The 260 acts as if nothing was received, the radios on the other boats will plot the position of the incoming unrequessted position report on the MFD.

Is there plans to add the ability to send a position report (rather than having the other party request it)? All the other DSC radios I've seen have this function and I use it quite frequently.

While I have you, is there a way to adjust the DSC Ring Volume? It's insanely loud on a quiet boat.

Thanks,
07-07-16, 08:32 AM
480CEs,

Unfortunately, we don't have any third party VHF radios within our US Product Support office. This report will be forwarded to the engineering team in order to request that the Ray260 be tested for responses to DSC position reports received from third party VHF radios.
07-20-16, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-16 10:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Any word on this?

I'm hoping to see the functionality added so that I don't have to replace this radio.

Thanks,
07-20-16, 10:46 AM
No feedback has yet to be received from the engineering team. This thread will be updated upon receipt of such information.