Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS 650 with Plotter E80
06-30-16, 04:18 PM
AIS 650 with Plotter E80
Hello my name is Federico Katzenstein, and I´m from Uruguay. I going to US next month and want to buy a Raymarine AIS650.
In my boat I have a Raymarine E80 multifunction display (plotter) with VHF RAY240E.

Is it better to use the VHF antenna that I have in the boat now or is better to use an antenna only for the AIS (with a splitter)?

I want to know what else I need to buy to connect the AIS650 (wires, plugs, antenna VHF?, etc), since the boat is in a city in Brasil where I don´t have anything of those accessories.

Also I want to know if the AIS650 is compatible with newer raymarine plotters.

If I want to change my E80 plotter wich one you recommend me , compatible with the other things I have in the boat:

Packs: Electronic Pack 2006, ST60 Tridata Wind, ST6001 autopilot hydraulic +
Wireless SeaTalk autopilot remote controll - Smartcontroller Kabellose,
Radar 18´´Radome Mast Bracket, radiotelefon RAY240E Klasse D-DSC
Dark Grey,
Raymarine E80 Multifunktiondisplay (Netzwerk) + NAV Navionics Platinium Card,
Digitale HD Soundermodule DSM300 + Bronz HI-PER B258
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-16, 09:04 AM
RE: AIS 650 with Plotter E80
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Federico,

Q1. Is it better to use the VHF antenna that I have in the boat now or is better to use an antenna only for the AIS (with a splitter)?
A1. Bearing in mind that any splitter or coupler within the cable path between the VHF radio's antenna port and the VHF antenna is a potential source of RF signal loss. As such and with the knowledge that a VHF radio is considered a piece of safety equipment, it is considered a best practice to install a dedicated antenna for the VHF radio. Accordingly, if adding an AIS transceiver to the system, then it is recommended that another VHF antenna having a maximum gain of -3dB be installed for use with the AIS transceiver.

Q2. I want to know what else I need to buy to connect the AIS650 (wires, plugs, antenna VHF?, etc), since the boat is in a city in Brasil where I don´t have anything of those accessories.
A2. If interfacing the AIS650 to an E-Series Classic MFD, then no other networking components need be purchased, as these products will be interfaced to one another via NMEA 0183 communications (see attachment). The AIS650 is compatible with all currently manufactured Raymarine MFDs and it would be recommended that it be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD will also be interfaced as a spur.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  MFD, AISx50, DSC VHF.pdf (Size: 70.59 KB / Downloads: 1097)
07-05-16, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 12:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
1- Last week I phone raymarine and they told me that if I have a multifunction display E80 and I want to buy an AIS 650, I need a cable R08004. The problem is that I cant find it.
- Do you think that the R08004 is not neccesary?
- If you think I need it, where can I buy one? Because I saw that is discontinued

2- If I decide to change my multifunction display, which one you recomend compatible with the accesories I have:

Dark Grey,

Do I have to make some modifications to these instruments?

Thanks
Federico
07-05-16, 01:07 PM
Frederico,

Q1. Do you think that the R08004 is not neccesary?
A1. Yes. Each E-Series Classic MFD was packaged with the subject cable.

Q2. If you think I need it, where can I buy one? Because I saw that is discontinued.
A2. It is recommended that the part be ordered from the authorized Raymarine dealer from whom you intend to purchase the AIS650.

Q3. If I decide to change my multifunction display, which one you recomend compatible with the accesories I have:

Dark Grey,

Do I have to make some modifications to these instruments?
A3: An eS95 would typically be recommended to replace an E80. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
07-06-16, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-16 01:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck
Sorry but I continue with the doubt.
I dont have the cable with the MFD E80. Do I need to buy one???? Where I can buy it ??? I cant find the cable R08004 on line.
I am afraid to buy the AIS650 and after I wont have the cable to connect it.
Thanks
Federico
07-06-16, 01:37 PM
Frederico,

The first generation SeaTalk communications protocol does not support AIS data. As such, the MFD would not be able to receive/process AIS data from a SeaTalk source. While E-Series Classic MFDs (via their SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 interface) feature a fair amount of support for communications with devices featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, the E-Series Classic MFDs have not been designed to process SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 PGNs featuring AIS data. The E-Series Classic MFDs have been exclusively designed to process AIS data received via their NMEA 0183 port. As indicated within my prior response, it is recommended that the part be ordered from the authorized Raymarine dealer from whom you intend to purchase the AIS650. Correspondingly, it is recommended that the dealer be contacted sufficiently far in advance of your arrival to order and receive the R08004 MFD NMEA 0183 Cable.
07-07-16, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-16 07:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck: I send emails To many raymarine dealers and they all told me that the cable R 08004 is discontinued and that they cant find that cable for me. That raymarine doesnt have it.
Is that true?
I dont know what To do.
You told me To ask To a raymarine dealer but they cant find it.
Does it exists another way to connect the AIS650 with the chartplotter E80?
In addition, I want the AIS650 to be the transceiver and the receiver. Could that be possible?

regards
Thanks
07-08-16, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-16 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Frederico,

As indicated within my initial response, there is no other way to interface an AIS receiver / transceiver to an E-Series Classic MFD. We have a limited number of scrapped (new) R08004 MFD NMEA 0183 Cable. Should the authorized Raymarine dealer contact me via the Forum then I will provide the dealer with this cable.
07-11-16, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-16 02:35 PM by Mark - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi chuck,
I ask some raymarine dealers to contact you. Do you receive some news from them?
Regards
07-13-16, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-16 02:36 PM by Mark - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
I send you the email I received from Imarine:

"I cannot communicate with Chuck on the forum, I MUST go trough my Raymarine rep and they said we cannot get it.

Best Regards,

Suzanne

iMarine USA
805-409-4700 Ext. 102
805-409-4722 Fax
Web: http://www.iMarineUSA.com"

I don´t knowhow to continue. Can you write directly to Suzanne from ImarineUSA (SuzanneS@iMarineUSA.com) and tell her that you can send the cable?

I´m waiting for your answer,

thanks and regards

Federico