Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel usage problem
07-05-16, 06:34 PM
Fuel usage problem
Hi

I'm having trouble with my e127 not reading my NMEA2000 Offshore systems fuel level tank sender. I know the MFD sees it but I can't select its PGN number. The fuel manager seems to default to PGN127497. The fuel level sender is transmitting on PGN127505. It seems crazy to me that Raymarine defaults to only 1 PGN when there are others valid options within the industry. How do I get this to work, it was a very expensive sender?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-16, 02:08 PM
RE: Fuel usage problem
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum garball44,

Fuel Tank Levels are not determined using PGN 127497. They are determined using PGN 127505 - Fluid Level. Should you examine screen snapshot which you had attached to the thread, you will find the that the instance number for the fluid sensor is 6. Should the vessel feature a single fuel tank, then the NMEA 2000 fuel sending device must be configured as instance 0. For vessels having more than one fuel tank, the convention used by most NMEA 2000 compatible products is to assign instance 0 to the port-most tank sensor and then assign incremented instance numbers to each tank moving from port to starboard. In this way, a vessel with three fuel tanks would assign instance 0 to the port tank, instance 1 to the center tank, and instance 2 to the starboard tank. It is correspondingly recommended that the manufacturer of the source devices transmitting PGN 127505 be contacted regarding how to change its instance number and that its instance number then be changed accordingly.
07-07-16, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-16 07:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
That was it! Thanks a lot. I must not understand the significance of instances. I was under the impression they had to do with device priorities only.

Thanks.
07-08-16, 07:47 AM
You're welcome.