Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV 200 Compass heading variation
07-06-16, 08:12 AM
EV 200 Compass heading variation
The compass value is significantly different than the GPS or fluid filled unit. Sometimes it is 60 to 70 degrees different. The only time it is close is when heading south at 180 degrees. After viewing a post from 01/08/2016 I took the boat out to Restart Compass expecting to be able to do 15-20 minute cruise of figure eights. A screen quickly popped up saying Task Complete Maximum Deviation 188 degrees. I ran through Dockside wizard again and still not able to Restart Compass.
What do I need to do to have compass values that are within an expected range? EV 200 purchased 08/2015, software V1.11, Deviation was 20 degrees, now shows ---. Thank you for your help, Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-16, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-16 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: EV 200 Compass heading variation
Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Bob,

It is recommended that you verify that your autopilot's EV-1 Sensor Core, p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head, and ACU-200 have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates and if found to not be operating with the latest software, that the software within these components be updated accordingly. After doing so, a Factory Reset should be commanded for the autopilot's control head (MENU->SET-UP->FACTORY RESET) and the autopilot itself (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET).

Upon completion of the Factory Reset operations, the area around the EV-1 Sensor Core's installation location should be inspected to ensure that no objects capable of producing a magnetic field (ex. objects constructed of ferrous materials (engine block, tools, tin cans, etc.), objects featuring magnets (speakers, electric motors, electronics, etc.), large current carrying conductors, etc. have not been located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core. Should any such items be identified, then these items or the EV-1 Sensor Core should be relocated to provide such separation.

The EV-1 Sensor Core should be inspected to ensure that has been securely mounted and that its reference arrow has been oriented such that it is parallel to the vessel's centerline.

The Evolution Autopilot's Dockside Wizard should then be executed, followed the a cruise to determine the sensed deviation within the area of the EV-1 Sensor Core. During the cruise, the p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head will report progress made toward completion of the deviation check ("Detecting Magnetics"). Upon completion of the cruise, the EV-1 will report the maximum sensed deviation. Any fine alignment of heading may then be accomplished via the autopilot's control head (up to 9.9 degrees) or by rotating the EV-1 Sensor Core. Should the reported issue persist, then it would be recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
07-06-16, 11:37 AM
Chuck, Thanks for the response. The software versions need updated to May 2016 release. Shouldn't the product perform correctly without the updates? I'm not sure exactly how to do updates aside from calling factory tech. Could I follow the factory reset instructions to get the compass values correct? I believe the area around Sensor core is free from interfering objects. The reference arrow is parallel to centerline. Thank, Bob
07-06-16, 02:25 PM
Bob,

Early Evolution autopilot software had some issues. That said, had the autopilot functioned correctly, then performing the previously specified Factory Reset operations should permit the autopilot to perform as it had previously following execution of the Dockside Wizard and cruise to determine deviation. All prior recommendations to inspect the area of the EV-1 sensor core should be heeded prior to performing these resets.
07-06-16, 02:58 PM
Chuck, I've been on the website looking at how to update software. I have the EV 200 connected to a Furuno Navnet 3D. How do I know what version software to download? The download section refers to MFD's with G series or a a/c/e/gs. Sorry to lack this knowledge, It's all very new to me, This is my first autopilot.
07-06-16, 03:48 PM
Bob,

One of the limitations/features of marine electronics systems having components from more than one manufacturer is that the software within products of one manufacturer are not designed to be updated by products from another manufacturer. Accordingly, Evolution autopilot components are exclusively designed to be updated via a Raymarine MFD having a SeaTalkng communications interface. Should a system lack a compatible Raymarine MFD, then software updates to Evolution autopilot components may be performed by a Certified Raymarine Installer or by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center. If contacting a Certified Raymarine Installer to perform the update, be certain to inform the installer that your system does not include any compatible Raymarine MFDs.
07-07-16, 07:58 AM
Chuck, Will contact Raymarine tech.. Should the autopilot be configured on True or Magnetic? Thanks for your help, Bob
07-07-16, 09:57 AM
Bob,

Selection of whether to display bearings within the True or Magnetic reference frame is a matter of personal preference. As the vessel's fluid filled compass is designed to report magnetic bearings, most customers will configure their autopilots to also display bearings in the magnetic reference frame for consistency within the vessel's heading reporting devices.