Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E28081 Wind Transducer Service Kit Instructions
07-07-16, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E28081 Wind Transducer Service Kit Instructions
I received the service kit for my ST60 windvane unit. The kit had the parts and allen wrench but contained no instructions and I could not find any document on the website. I will be retrieving vane off the top of mast shortly. Is the service process intuitive? Are there any tips on how to proceed? Anything else to do or inspect besides substituting the new parts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-16, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: E28081 Wind Transducer Service Kit Instructions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

There's no magic to replacing the vane and cups included within the A28167 Raymarine Masthead Wind Transducer Service Kit (for masthead wind transducers designed for use with the iTC-5, i60 Wind, ST290 Wind Pod, and ST60/ST60+ Wind). These assemblies are each secured to their respective shafts with a set screw. Removal of the currently installed vane and cup assembly is simply a matter of loosening the set screws and then removing the vane and cup assemblies from their shafts. The replacement part vane and cup assemblies will then be positioned on the shafts and the set screws within these items will then be tightened. It is recommended that wind transducers be calibrated following any servicing or replacement of the transducer.
01-03-17, 03:42 PM
Chuck: I have a related question. i just replaced the bearings and i'm ready to attach the new wind cups and vane. Do i need to orient the vane any certain way when i put it on the shaft, or do i just recalibrate the instrument when it's all back together. if you can send or post calibration instructions, that would be great. thank you
01-03-17, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-17 05:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joe,

The wind transducer shown within your photo is the early transducer offered for the ST60 Wind Instruments. As with the wind transducers produced for currently manufactured Raymarine instruments, the wind transducer's vane shaft of later versions of these transducers was round and featured flat surface to properly align the vane when it onto onto the transducer's vane shaft. Very early versions of transducers designed for ST60 Wind Instruments featured shafts lacking the specified alignment flat on the shaft. As the replacement vane kits now come exclusively with a matching flat surface inside of the vane's shaft [censored], it may necessary to modify the vane opening to accommodate pressing the vane onto the completely round shaft of these early transducers. After installing the vane, the Wind Instrument should be calibrated. Is the wind transducer still interfaced directly to a ST60 Wind instrument? If so, its owner's manual (includes calibration information) may be found herehere.
01-10-17, 11:26 AM
Do you recommend using temporary wiring to connect the transducer to the display so that the wind instrument can be calibrated on deck, before the mast is stepped?
01-11-17, 11:43 AM
Joe,

Negative. The wind transducer need not and should not be calibrated prior to install it on the mast.
06-03-18, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] E28081 Wind Transducer Service Kit Instructions
I have p70 control head and i70 display along with the itc5 converter.
I went under a bridge last week and saw a lowhanging chain rub the mast. After that my wind direction on my instrments is fluctuating wildly.
In looking up at the instrument the top wind vain seems to be gone. Cups are there wind gauge seems to be functioning properly. Can i just replace the wind vain and cups?
If so what is the part and part number needed? Also is it just a plug and play set up? Its a new 2017 leopard l40 catamaran.
Thanks
Jim.
06-04-18, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 12:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

Please see my initial post to this thread addressing the questions which you have posted. The link within my initial post is to a video describing contents of the wind transducer servicing kit.
06-04-18, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 12:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the quick reply.
My concern is does this kit work with the equipment I have which I listed in my first post. Your discription did not list my equipment compatible.
It seems like all I can find that is compatible with my equipment is the entire assembly which is much more expensive.
Also if this kit will work with my equipment does it calibrate automatically? I thought I read the equipment I have will calibrate auto.
Thanks.
06-04-18, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 12:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jim,

Per my initial post to this thread, the A28167 Raymarine Masthead Wind Transducer Service Kit is designed for use with masthead wind transducers which have been designed for use with the iTC-5 (identified within your initial post to this thread). My initial post also addressed the necessity to re-calibrate the wind transducer after having performed any service to it.