Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercury VV7 to Seatalkng via NMEA2K
07-08-16, 03:38 PM
Mercury VV7 to Seatalkng via NMEA2K
Greetings,

I have an a78 MFD interfaced to an SR150 sat Wx receiver and an external RS125 Plus GPS sensor. I have a seatalk to seatalkng converter serving as the power for my seatalkng backbone, and a T connector with spur to the SR150. The SR150 also is connected to the a78 with the Raynet cable. I recently purchased a Mercury Marine VesselView 7 (VV7) for my single Mercury Optimax 225. The VV7 can be interfaced with a NMEA 2000 network and they show a basic diagram (attached diagram). I want to interface my Raymarine to the VV7. I am trying to do two things: 1) get GPS input into my VV7 for improved functionality 2) see what I can get out of the VV7 in terms of engine information into my a78 (particularly interested in fuel consumption). Is this as simple as buying a RAYMARINE Cable Kit for NMEA2000 Gateway, MFG# T12217 and plugging into my VV7 NMEA 2000 port? In that case the seatalkng backbone takes the place of the NMEA 2000 backbone?

Thank you,

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-16, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-16 03:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Mercury VV7 to Seatalkng via NMEA2K
John,

Q1: I have a seatalk to seatalkng converter serving as the power for my seatalkng backbone, and a T connector with spur to the SR150.
A1: It is not possible to interface a SR150 in the manner which you have specified within the sentence above, at the SR150 only features an Ethernet port ... it has not SeaTalkng ports.

Q2: The SR150 also is connected to the a78 with the Raynet cable.
A2: From a direct connection standpoint, the SR150 may only be interfaced to the a78 via a RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Alternatively, the a78 MFD and SR150 may each be interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via appropriate lengths of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q3: The VV7 can be interfaced with a NMEA 2000 network and they show a basic diagram (attached diagram). I want to interface my Raymarine to the VV7. I am trying to do two things: 1) get GPS input into my VV7 for improved functionality 2) see what I can get out of the VV7 in terms of engine information into my a78 (particularly interested in fuel consumption). Is this as simple as buying a RAYMARINE Cable Kit for NMEA2000 Gateway, MFG# T12217 and plugging into my VV7 NMEA 2000 port? In that case the seatalkng backbone takes the place of the NMEA 2000 backbone?
A3: Should the VV7 feature a NMEA 2000 socket, then it may simply be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone an A06075 SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F) Cable or an A06076 SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (M) Cable depending upon the gender of the VV7's NMEA 2000 socket.
07-08-16, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-16 07:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Reply to A1: OK, I see now that was from my old weather receiver. That means I have a free blue backbone cable of about 1M, and a T-connector. So, I should be able to order an A06075, then move the T-connector close enough to my VV7. If I unplugged a blue resistor from one end of my seatalk to seatalkng converter, moved it to the other end of my T-connector, then plugged in the blue backbone cable to the T-connector and seatalk to seatalkng converter, then will I be able to just hook the A06075 into the white port on my T-connector then plug into the VV7?

Thank you,

John
07-18-16, 08:01 AM
John,

Yes, your suggestion regarding how to interface the VV7 to your backbone seems correct. However, please remember to install the blue SeaTalkng Termination Plug which had been removed from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter into the unused blue backbone socket of the SeaTalkng T-Piece.
07-19-16, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-16 08:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you very much! I now have the two devices communicating. I am still troubleshooting some missing data on the Mercury side of things, but I am getting engine data into the Raymarine via my Seatalkng network, and GPS, sonar, and temperature into my VV7. Very useful connectivity!
07-19-16, 08:12 AM
You're welcome.