Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
0.5 L Hydraulic pump spec discrepancy
07-26-16, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-16 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: 0.5 L Hydraulic pump spec discrepancy
Scoffer,

As indicated within my previous response, you should not expect an Evolution autopilot to report rudder movement unless underway and making good way. Evolution autopilot systems lacking an rudder reference transducer may also not respond fully to heading changes commanded when the vessel is not moving ... as the system is dependent upon sensed motion to determine how much rudder to apply. It should also be noted that from a performance standpoint, maximum autopilot performance will be achieved when a rudder reference transducer is installed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-16, 12:48 PM
Chuck,

This is the EV-100 power system, that came as a packaged deal. No rudder reference transducer was included with the system. Did you see the new thread I posted yesterday? I see that it is still not posted on the forum.

I provided a bit more info there on what I did and what the issue is. If you want, I can just post it here as well, but I was told before to keep threads to a single subject... That is why I created a new thread to deal with my issue.
07-26-16, 01:34 PM
Scoffer,

The other thread which you have mentioned did not include any additional pertinent detail and will be deleted accordingly. While this thread is no diverging from it's original subject, we'll finish the discussion here. As indicated previously, sensed motion motion of the vessel is a critical part of the operation of this autopilot. Rather than speculate that something may be wrong, you may want to perform the drive motor test specified previously (i.e. motor lead momentarily connected directly to a 12VDC source). If the pump does not perform properly during the test, then create a new thread to discuss the pump problem. However, should the test not identify a problem with the pump, then the vessel should be taken out to permit it to determine the vessels handling characteristics and determine the deviation fields sensed by the EV-1 Sensor Core.
07-26-16, 01:53 PM
OK Chuck. I was just following the purge procedure that was stated in the pump installation manual:

1. With the system in auto mode, press the -10 button ten times:
• the autopilot pump will try to drive the rudder to port.
• counter this rudder movement by turning the helm to starboard to keep the rudder
stationary.
• you will be able to feel any air in the helm pump: any air in this side of the pump will
rise to the helm pump and exhaust into the reservoir.
• continue until all of the air is out of this side of the pump.
2. Clear any air on the other side of the pump:
• press the +10 button ten times.
• the autopilot will try to drive the rudder to starboard.
• counter the rudder movement by turning the helm to port.
• continue until all of the air is out of this side of the pump.
• Repeat in both directions until both sides of the help pump are totally free of air.

While following this guide, I encountered the issue I described, where the drive still turned to port even though I told it to turn to starboard.

I was operating under the assumption that this process likely needed to be completed prior to running the dockside wizard. When I first fired up the P70R controller unit, it asked me the basic initial questions: Language and vessel type, but that was it, then the unit went to the main screen showing the heading.

Should I run the dockside wizard prior to trying to follow the pump purge instructions again?
07-26-16, 04:08 PM
Contrary to the instructions, with an EV100 hydraulic pilot it is recommended that the pump's motor A & B leads be connected directly +12V and -12VDC when bleeding. After bleeding has been completed, the Dockside Wizard should be performed to simply ensure that the pump motor's A & B leads have been connected to the proper terminals of the ACU-100. Should the drive move in the incorrect direction, then the motor lead connections to the ACU-100 should be reversed and the system should be tested again.
07-26-16, 04:17 PM
OK, now this all makes sense. I was wondering how I was ever going to get it to purge with the instructions in the current manual if I couldn't get the P70r to turn the drive to starboard! Maybe it would be good to amend the purge instructions so others don't have this same question / issue in the future.

I will do the purge procedure utilizing a direct 12v connection and then go through the dockside wizard and then take her out for a spin if all goes well!
07-26-16, 04:36 PM
Noted.
07-28-16, 01:37 PM
I am happy to report that purging the system via the direct connection to 12v power worked perfectly. Ran the dockside wizard, left the degree of range and hard over times at the default (30 degrees and 10 seconds), and the drive turned the correct direction when the unit ran its test.

Took her out for a spin, magnetic detection completed, only 6 deviation, so well within the acceptable deviation range. Holds bearing quite well and I'm pleased so far. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Drive type: The unit lets me choose between Type 1 pump, wheel, and tiller. It does not give me the option to change to a Type 0.5 pump, which is what I have. Is this normal, or is this something that needs to be corrected?

2. Hard over time: What is the best way to determine the hard over time?

3. I noticed that the unit seemed to "learn" as it did its course correcting, as it started holding a truer course and not over correcting. Does it save what it learns until it is re calibrated, or does it have to relearn every time the unit is powered off / restarted?

4. This is just out of my own curiosity, and corresponds with the "learning" described in the previous question. The unit is networked with my a78, so it has access to speed over ground from that unit I would think. The boat steers very differently at low / idle versus cruising speed. Does the pilot system take that speed information in to account when it is determining the appropriate amount of rudder to apply during a course correction?
07-28-16, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-16 03:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1. Drive type: The unit lets me choose between Type 1 pump, wheel, and tiller. It does not give me the option to change to a Type 0.5 pump, which is what I have. Is this normal, or is this something that needs to be corrected?
A1. We have seen this as well with our office system. Our Repair Technician has specified that the Type 1 Hydraulic Pump option should be selected for the Drive type when a Type 0.5 Hydraulic Pump has been installed onboard.

Q2. Hard over time: What is the best way to determine the hard over time?
A2. It is recommended that pump's motor leads be disconnected from the ACU and instead be connected directly to a 12VDC power circuit. After driving the steering hard over to one side, reverse the motor leads and then count the number of seconds to hard over in the opposite direction.

Q3. I noticed that the unit seemed to "learn" as it did its course correcting, as it started holding a truer course and not over correcting. Does it save what it learns until it is re calibrated, or does it have to relearn every time the unit is powered off / restarted?
A3. The autopilot will continuously learn until the Calibration Lock feature has been configured to ON.

Q4. This is just out of my own curiosity, and corresponds with the "learning" described in the previous question. The unit is networked with my a78, so it has access to speed over ground from that unit I would think. The boat steers very differently at low / idle versus cruising speed. Does the pilot system take that speed information in to account when it is determining the appropriate amount of rudder to apply during a course correction?
A4. Yes. Unlike prior generations of autopilots speed through water or Speed Over Ground (used when speed through water is not available) is a key data item used by Evolution autopilots.