New systems integration
07-29-16, 02:36 PM
RE: New systems integration
You're welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-16, 06:54 PM
Chuck: here's my list of components I need to configure.
Es128 mfd rayt 70265 replaces (E) e120 Classic
(E) furuno Navpilot 5011 this is connected to my (E) e120 Classic which goes away.
Quantum radar replaces (E) RD424
AIS 650 to ais100 splitter with vhf antennae.
(E) Vhf radio
FLIR MD625 thermal camera
Transducers:
(E) in hull airmar R199 into cp370
Cpt100 down vision chirp possible into cp470?
Cpt200 side vision into cp200 module

Any direction you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Dave
08-08-16, 10:52 AM
Dave,

There are two methods by which the third party autopilot supporting NMEA 0183 communications may be interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD:
- use the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface as was likely used by the E-Series Classic MFD to communicate with the third party autopilot
- install a simple powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. A SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-STNG, etc.) would additionally be installed as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Finally, the autopilot would be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 leads/terminals of the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 data bridging device. This method has the advantage of permitting heading data to be supplied to other devices which are or will be interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone as well as supporting easy expansion to include any future SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 devices.

It is recommended that the AIS650 be interfaced to as a spur to the aforementioned SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

The FLIR MD625's analog video output cable will be interfaced to the analog video input BNC connector of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable. The MD625's Ethernet Cable will be interfaced to a POE Injector (supplied with MD625), which in turn will be connected to a A80007 HS5 RayNet Network Switch via a cable assembly constructed from an appropriate length of RJ45 (M) to RJ45 (M) Ethernet Patch Cable and an A80247 RJ45 (F) to RayNet (F) Adapter, which in turn will be interfaced to one of the MFD's Network sockets via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

The CP470, CP370, and CPT200 will each be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. It is not possible to interface a CHIRP/DownVision Transducer (ex. CPT-100) to a CP470 CHIRP Sounder Module. The CP470 is designed to be interfaced to the transducers's found here.

The Port 1 NMEA 0183 output leads of the MFD will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input leads of the VHF radio. Should you desire to have the MFD plot received DSC position reports then the Port 1 NMEA 0183 input leads of the MFD will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 output leads of the VHF radio.

All products will be powered via the power cables/leads/terminals of the respective product.
08-09-16, 09:50 AM
Thank you Chuck, this is a great help. I will let you know how it goes.
08-09-16, 09:07 PM
A couple minor alterations. I decided to go with a 3048SHD 12Kw radar and a gs165 MFD, I'm going to install the radar first, I have already removed my old stuff and prepped the hard top for the new radar, going to install it this weekend and get it up and running on the old e120. Once I know it is functioning properly, I will install the new gs165 mfd and follow the installation recommendation #2 that you indicated above.
I'm spending a lot of time reading installation instructions and familiarizing myself with components, I will know far more about my system when I'm done than I ever did on my previous stuff. Your help and insight are invaluable and this is why I decided to stay with Raymarine. I looked around for forums on other manufacturers, I actually read many of their posts and it was readily apparent to me that Raymarine is a cut above the competition in this regard, it may have more to do with you, Imdont know but I do know that I am feeling more and more comfortable with this than I was before and that is because of your prompt, clear and concise responses.
08-21-16, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-16 12:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck:
In connecting the data side of the radar (E52082), I was planning to go directly to one of my GS165 displays raynet connectors, Is there any performance advantage/difference to connecting it through a spur cable to the backbone or the HS5 as opposed to going directly to the MFD? My thinking is I have a 10m cable and a 3-4m run from the hardtop to the display, leaving me with approximately 6m of cable to coil up and hide somewhere, Id prefer to coil and tie it below near the MFD and out of my overhead electronics cabinet where my VHF, AIS, CP370, HS5 are located, its a tight space to work in.
08-21-16, 05:48 PM
Chuck:
is the HS5 integrated into the backbone? or does it a stand alone and connect directly to the MFD.
08-22-16, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-16 09:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

HS5 RayNet Network Switches are not designed to be interfaced to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when a HS5 RayNet Switch(es) would be applicable or recommended.
10-15-16, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-16 09:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I just wanted to report back that through your help and a good deal of local help from Mr. Fred Fritz, I was able to get my new system up and operational. The support from Raymarine has been phenomenal. from sales to the service department team, knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and fast. I could not have asked for more. I'm learning the system and enjoying every minute of it on the water.
I wasn't able to do all the upgrades I wanted at this time, but there's plenty of room for expansion and I know exactly where to go when the time comes.
Can't thank you enough.
Dave
10-17-16, 09:28 AM
Dave,

You're very welcome.