Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting Multiple NMEA 0183 Devices
07-27-16, 12:03 PM
Connecting Multiple NMEA 0183 Devices
I have a question concerning NMEA 0183 connection to an e127/e125 MFD.

I am replacing my AIS650 Class B AIS with a non-Raymarine Class A AIS using NMEA 0183 ports.

My current system consists of 2 MFDs, an e127 (master) and an e125 (slave). The MFDs are connected together using a Raynet cable (ELTR1964) and the network ports on the MFDs. The master is connected to a SeaTalk(ng) network via 5 way connectors properly terminated, and the slave is connected to a SeaTalk HS network switch (HS5).

The 0183 input ports on the master are connected to the DSC VHF Radio (icom M-506) and the heading sensor (KVH Autocomp 1000). The existing AIS650 is connected via SeaTalk(ng). (see attached photo)

I plan to leave in place but disconnect the AIS650. Using the existing gps receiver and AIS VHF Antenna, I'd like to connect the new AIS using the unused NMEA 0183 bi-directional (Tx and Rx) port on the e125 (slave) MFD. Reminder, all NMEA 0183 on the slave are currently unused.

The new AIS is a L3 Communications Protect-M.

Does this sound like the best or at least a workable configuration?

Thank You.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-16, 12:51 PM
RE: Connecting Multiple NMEA 0183 Devices
John,

Unfortunately the resolution of the attached image of the system diagram is to to low to permit it to be viewed. You may want to try attaching a .pdf file of the diagram or attaching a higher resolution image.
Find all posts by this user
07-27-16, 01:09 PM
I think this may be the best I can offer as the copy I have is small and doesn't scan well.
07-27-16, 01:24 PM
(07-27-16 12:51 PM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  John,

Unfortunately the resolution of the attached image of the system diagram is to to low to permit it to be viewed. You may want to try attaching a .pdf file of the diagram or attaching a higher resolution image.
07-27-16, 01:26 PM
(07-27-16 12:51 PM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  John,

07-27-16, 01:27 PM
John,

Unfortunately, the pdf diagram likewise has too little resolution to be viewed. That said, it is possible to interface the NMEA 0183 port of either MFD to NMEA 0183 data sources. As such, should the e125 MFD's NMEA 0183 port not currently be in use, then it may indeed be interfaced to a third party AIS receiver.
Find all posts by this user