Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto pilot not following route!
07-28-16, 07:47 PM
Auto pilot not following route!
After setting up a route with my new "Auto Routing" feature I am having a problem instructing my "Auto Pilot" to lock onto the route. Every time I tell it to "Follow Route" it wants to turn 180 degrees. If I then tell it to reverse and follow it also turns 180 degrees. My route is showing along with my way points.

Would you please give me some instructions on how to pick up a route with my 'Auto Pilot" when you are directly on the route on the chart plotter screen.

I have a GS-165. All of my components, including my auto pilot, have been updated and calibrated properly. My compass is dead on. If I just put it in auto pilot it tracks perfectly straight.

Big Moe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-16, 03:38 PM
RE: Auto pilot not following route!
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Big Moe,

It is recommended that those who command their systems to follow a route, display the Waypoint Info data item within the MFD's Databar, Data application, or within a Databox. When a route has been commanded to be followed, this data item will be populated with the name of the waypoint which is currently being navigated to, along with range, bearing, and TTG to this waypoint. Additionally, a dashed black course line will be rendered from the vessel icon to the waypoint being navigated to. Many customers will designate their dock slip or the vessel's location at the time that the route was created as the first waypoint of the route. Should the vessel be located somewhere other than that location when the route has been commanded to be followed, then the MFD will direct that the vessel be navigated to the route's first waypoint prior to proceeding to the next waypoint of the route. Accordingly, should the vessel have already proceeded in the direction of the desired route waypoint to be navigated to, then the Chart application's Waypoint Advance command should be executed a sufficient number of times to permit the data within the Waypoint Info data item to be populated with data corresponding the the route to be navigated to and for the rendered course line to be drawn from the vessel's position to this same route waypoint. When autopilots are commanded into Track mode, they will attempt to steer the vessel as quickly as possible back to the route's leg line leading to the rout waypoint being navigated to ... as this is the safe course as specified by the route planner. However, should the path between the vessel's current position and the route waypoint being navigated to, then you may want to consider using the Restart XTE command to designate system navigate from the vessel's position directly to the route waypoint instead of tracking back to the leg of the route immediately preceding the waypoint.
08-03-16, 04:39 PM
I have followed your instructions to the T and still am having issues. First off, if I set up a route and do not want to utilize it right out of port how do I set up my plotter to get on the course. My boat wants to do a "Crazy Ivan" and turn 180 degrees and go back to the stable.

When I did get it to track on course "once" it wants to swing my boat about 20 degrees to port looking for a starboard way point. It makes a giant sweeper turn.

What does XTE do and how and when do I start it.

I need a step by step set of instructions on how to get on my "already setup route". I am using my new Auto Route function.

All my systems are updated and working properly. I have a new GS-165 at the helm and an E-95 down at the chart table.

Thanks Big Moe
08-08-16, 12:05 PM
Q1: If I set up a route and do not want to utilize it right out of port how do I set up my plotter to get on the course. My boat wants to do a "Crazy Ivan" and turn 180 degrees and go back to the stable.

A1: Per my initial response, use the Chart application's Waypoint Advance command to advance navigation to the next waypoint of the route which you desire to navigate to. Each execution of the Waypoint Advance command (MENU->NAVIGATE->ADVANCE WAYPOINT) will cause to be moved up to the next waypoint within the route's sequence. Accordingly, should the Waypoint Information data item specify that the waypoint being navigated to is the route's first waypoint, then executing Waypoint Advance once will cause the Chart application to navigate to the route's second waypoint. Executing Waypoint Advance a second time will cause the chart application to navigate to the route's third waypoint ... and so on.

Alternatively, should the route waypoint that you desire navigate to not be common to more than one route, then the Chart application may be commanded to Stop Following the route (MENU->NAVIGATE->STOP FOLLOW). The cursor may then be positioned over the route's waypoint which you desire to next navigate to, the OK button pressed, and FOLLOW FROM HERE selected from the waypoint context menu. Should you desire to have the vessel travel in a straight line from its present position to the waypoint being navigated to, then the Restart XTE command (MENU->NAVIGATE->RESTART XTE) may be executed.