Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SmartPilot error to Classic E120 Chartplotter
08-30-16, 11:07 AM
RE: SmartPilot error to Classic E120 Chartplotter
Chris,

Given some recent reports of problems with older autopilots in conjunction with the converter, it is recommended that v1.21 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software be used. Instructions for updating the converter's software may be downloaded from here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-16, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-16 12:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry for the slow response. I just returned to my boat and got back to working on fixing this issue.

I have downgraded the SeaTalk NG Converter to 1.21. I have disconnected NMEA and connected the SmartPilot to the SeaTalk. The chart plotter is connected directly to the SeaTalk NG converter.

Following this, the GOTO options are still greyed out.
10-07-16, 01:12 PM
Chris,

In reviewing your diagram again,

- the starboard hull portion of the diagram shows the ST70 MFID both being interfaced as SeaTalkng spur and also to a SeaTalk bus. While the ST70 MFIDs were designed to function as a repeater of data from a SeaTalk bus or a repeater of data from a SeaTalkng backbone, they were not designed to function as a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging device ... this is the function of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Corrections to the installation, would call for adding a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the end of the backbone within the starboard hull of the diagram. The D244 SeaTalk Junction Block would then be disconnected from the ST70 MFID and would instead be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the added SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

- the starboard hull portion of the diagram show the ST60+ as being interfaced to an unknown devices ... determining what is connected to the ST60+ and additionally ensuring that the SeaTalk bus which includes the ST60+ and Wireless base stations includes no more than five SeaTalk devices. Each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter can support supplying power to up to five SeaTalk devices.

- Only one SeaTalk port of the Smartpilot should used. This port should be used to connect the SHS, ST6002, and ST70 MFID to a single unpowered SeaTalk bus ... this bus will eventually draw power from the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter. Accordingly, red lead of the SeaTalk cable which is connect to the Smartpilot's red SeaTalk terminal should be disconnected and then insulated to prevent shorting. Additionally, the red lead joining the SeaTalk bus to the +12V bus bar should be disconnected. When these changes have been made and all marine electronics circuits have been switched ON, then you should find that disconnecting the SeaTalkng Power Cable from the SeaTalkng backbone spur socket will cause the ST6002 autopilot control head and ST60+ instrument display to each be powered OFF.

- the MFD and ST70 products be updated with the latest respective software update.

With these changes made and should the communications interfaces of the products are operational, then you should find that each ST70 MFID and MFD can report rudder angle (i.e. if configured to display the Rudder Angle data item, then the data item will be populated rather than being dashed). You should then be able to command GoTo waypoint/cursor and Stop GoTo afterward.

Finally, a GoTo operation or Stop GoTo operation may not be successfully executed if an installation error, configuration error, or software fault results in looping of data within the system. Such loops are not uncommon when interfacing devices via NMEA 0183 communications protocol within a marine electronics system. In such installations, care must be taken to ensure that data received by the product's interfaces is not re-transmitted by the product's NMEA 0183 communications interface. In looking at your diagram, I have a concern that the S1 may loop navigational data received via it's SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 interface back out via the S1's NMEA 0183 output interface. You can verify whether this is so by examining the MFD's NMEA 0183 receive (RX) buffer via the MFD's diagnostics. Should the MFD's receive buffer include received (RX) NMEA 0183 sentence identifiers other than VDO, VDM, HDM, RSA, and ALR, then would indicate that such a loop exists and will need to be corrected.
10-09-16, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-16 08:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thank you, I will order a SeaTalk NG converter and work on rewiring as you have described. I'll let you know if that works or if I have further issues.

-Chris
10-10-16, 08:20 AM
You're welcome.